Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2010 8:55:59 AM EDT
I have been reloading 9mm, .38 anad .45 ACP on a Dillon Square Deal for about a year now. I have all the neccesary equipment for pistol such as a tumbler and scale, but I want to start loading rifle. .223 to start off, with .30-06 and a few other calibers later. Here's a list of the specific parts I am looking at getting

Rockchucker
Lee Universal Depriming Die
RCBS full length resizing die
Possum Hollow Kwik case trimmer
RCBS Universale Hand Priming tool
Redding Competition Seating Die
Lee factory crimp die

I'm looking for recomendations on a good powder drop, I'm liking the RCBS unit right now but am open to other options. I'm not specifically after match grade ammo, but I would like respectable accuracy for my effort. Am I forgetting anything?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
just get two topless big breasted brazilians to weigh that shit out by hand, and have them call you don sharpest

ive got a RCBS with the micro adjustment, works ok, seems to cut long grained powders more than i would like(which is 0)

i think hornady LNL is a good one to get

if you are using surplus brass, might want to look into getting a swag tool
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been reloading 9mm, .38 anad .45 ACP on a Dillon Square Deal for about a year now. I have all the neccesary equipment for pistol such as a tumbler and scale, but I want to start loading rifle. .223 to start off, with .30-06 and a few other calibers later. Here's a list of the specific parts I am looking at getting

Rockchucker
Lee factory crimp die

I'm looking for recomendations on a good powder drop, I'm liking the RCBS unit right now but am open to other options. I'm not specifically after match grade ammo, but I would like respectable accuracy for my effort. Am I forgetting anything?

Sir, to add to your list:  dial caliper, case gage or RCBS case mic, case lube (Imperial), case neck deburring tool.  If you plan to buy a Redding Competition seater die and an RCBS FL resizing die, in my humble opinion you get a better value if you buy a Redding Type "S" match die set and the optional carbide expander ball.  This will save you the cost of the Lee Universal Depriming Die, and the RCBS FL sizing die.  If you buy the correct size type "S" bushing for the Redding sizing die to provide approximately .002" inside case neck diameter less than bullet OD (.222" for .224" diameter bullet) you also don't need a Lee factory crimp die unless it just makes you feel better to crimp your cartridges.  Lastly, while I've always had good experience with RCBS products there are better on the market.  Take the money you save by not buying the Lee crimp die and decapping die and spend it on a Sinclair hand priming tool vice the RCBS version.

In my humble opinion the best value powder measure currently on the market is the Redding 3BR.  Once you develop a consistant operating technique it is equally as good as any of the Harrell's measures that cost significantly more than the Redding.  JMHO, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Rockchucker
Lee factory crimp die

I'm looking for recommendations on a good powder drop, I'm liking the RCBS unit right now but am open to other options. I'm not specifically after match grade ammo, but I would like respectable accuracy for my effort. Am I forgetting anything?

The trouble with the RCBS Uniflow is it does not come with a micrometer on the powder adjustment. That's $40 extra.

The Hornady PM comes standard with the micrometer for the same money. No $40 extra to buy.

A Hornady PM, the rest of my single stage reloading tools are RCBS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sir, to add to your list:  dial caliper, case gage or RCBS case mic, case lube (Imperial), case neck deburring tool.  If you plan to buy a Redding Competition seater die and an RCBS FL resizing die, in my humble opinion you get a better value if you buy a Redding Type "S" match die set and the optional carbide expander ball.  This will save you the cost of the Lee Universal Depriming Die, and the RCBS FL sizing die.  If you buy the correct size type "S" bushing for the Redding sizing die to provide approximately .002" inside case neck diameter less than bullet OD (.222" for .224" diameter bullet) you also don't need a Lee factory crimp die unless it just makes you feel better to crimp your cartridges.  Lastly, while I've always had good experience with RCBS products there are better on the market.  Take the money you save by not buying the Lee crimp die and decapping die and spend it on a Sinclair hand priming tool vice the RCBS version.

In my humble opinion the best value powder measure currently on the market is the Redding 3BR.  Once you develop a consistant operating technique it is equally as good as any of the Harrell's measures that cost significantly more than the Redding.  JMHO, 7zero1.

At 23 years old, I hardly warrant being addressed as "sir," but thank you for the advice. I forgot to mention my reloads are intended for IPSC and IDPA competition use in an AR, so I feel crimping is a necessity. I will deffinately look into the Type "S" die set. Is there any specific reason the Sinclair priming tool is better than the RCBS? I am initially planning on using Varget or Tac powder, so I'll check out the REdding 3BR as well. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my humble opinion the best value powder measure currently on the market is the Redding 3BR.  Once you develop a consistent operating technique it is equally as good as any of the Harrell's measures that cost significantly more than the Redding.  JMHO, 7zero1.

At 23 years old, I hardly warrant being addressed as "sir," but thank you for the advice. I forgot to mention my reloads are intended for IPSC and IDPA competition use in an AR, so I feel crimping is a necessity. I will deffinately look into the Type "S" die set. Is there any specific reason the Sinclair priming tool is better than the RCBS? I am initially planning on using Varget or Tac powder, so I'll check out the REdding 3BR as well. Thanks

Sir, regardless your age it is my belief that everyone is entitled to the respect implied by use of the salutation until proved otherwise.

FWIW I've used my ARs in high power competition as well as IPSC and IDPA for many years, and found that not only is crimping unnecessary given adequate neck tension, but also can be detrimental to the precision of the cartridges unless you take other steps commonly ignored by many reloaders,  I'll not argue the point, if you consider it necessary that's your privilege.

The RCBS priming tools that I have seen appear to be cheaply made and offer some flexing of the metal parts which diminishes the tactile sensation one feels when the primer seats properly.  With the Sinclair tool the parts are all machined from steel stock and the tool is very solidly built.  I place it in the same category of relative values that I compare the RCBS plastic caliper to a Starrett dial caliper.  Both will do the job but which would you really want if money were no object?

One reason I make the suggestions that I do is based on the knowledge that many reloaders eventually expand the goals of our reloading hobby to include related forms of firearms use.  When I got into reloading my interests were mostly IPSC style competitions but as my interests spread to other forms of competition I found that I also had to expand my reloading capabilities.   I have a lot of equipment that I no longer use because I've learned some are better suited for my purposes and the price is worth replacing them, but that leaves me with all the items that I started out with.  I'm simply trying to pass on the benefit of my experience..  HTH, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Good info. I deffinately want to get good equipment from the start, for the same reason you suggest. As far as crimping goes, I will try forgoing it first. I honestly cant remember where I formed the opinion that .223 needed to be crimped. The sinclair priming tool looks top of the line, but I dont like the idea of single primer feeding. A little on the pricey side too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
in my humble opinion you get a better value if you buy a Redding Type "S" match die set and the optional carbide expander ball.  This will save you the cost of the Lee Universal Depriming Die, and the RCBS FL sizing die.  If you buy the correct size type "S" bushing for the Redding sizing die to provide approximately .002" inside case neck diameter less than bullet OD (.222" for .224" diameter bullet)

I'm looking at the Redding Type "S" die set and am a bit confused. The set does not come with the carbide expander ball, correct? Is this the one I need? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=367998

I cant seem to find the "S" type bushings anywhere. Do you have a part number for the one you are referring to? My list is coming together nicely but half the stuff I want is currently on backorder...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
in my humble opinion you get a better value if you buy a Redding Type "S" match die set and the optional carbide expander ball.  This will save you the cost of the Lee Universal Depriming Die, and the RCBS FL sizing die.  If you buy the correct size type "S" bushing for the Redding sizing die to provide approximately .002" inside case neck diameter less than bullet OD (.222" for .224" diameter bullet)

I'm looking at the Redding Type "S" die set and am a bit confused. The set does not come with the carbide expander ball, correct? Is this the one I need? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=367998

I cant seem to find the "S" type bushings anywhere. Do you have a part number for the one you are referring to? My list is coming together nicely but half the stuff I want is currently on backorder...

Sir, the carbide expander ball is an option with Redding dies.  Some other manufacturers may offer that option since the last time I checked but AFAIK Redding is the only one that has that option.  FWIW, I've done business with Midway in the past and even have an outstanding back order with them as I write this.  In my humble opinion Sinclair Int. offers much better service and is more likely to actually have the items you want to order in stock when you place the order.  The Sinclair catalog has a brief description of how to select the type "S" bushing that you need, on page 39 of their 2009B catalog.  It depends on the neck wall thickness of the brass you intend to load.  Simply put subtract .002" from the outside diameter of the bullet you intend to use and add the case neck wall thickness times two will equal the diameter of the bushing you need less .001" considering brass springback.  The type "S" bushings Redding sells come in the "73 Style" bushings which are heat treated steel bushings, and the "76 Style" bushings which are the same as the 73 Style except they have a Titanium Nitride coating.  The part numbers in the Sinclair catalog are:  #RD73XXX and #RD76XXX where the "XXX is the inside diameter in thousandths of an inch you want to bushing to be.   HTH, 7zero1.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top