Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2009 10:31:08 PM EDT
I'm putting a bench upstairs in a spare bedroom.

I have a solid bench already mounted down in the basement but would also like on upstairs.

Does anyone use one of these?

thanks
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93454
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Ought to work just dandy!  Almost too nice to bolt a press to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My guess is that the table will wobble when you use the press. Home depot sells a kit where you just add the 2X4's and tghe counter top, you can make it as big as you want. Cabelas also has the kit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I, too say, that it would be wobbly.

Make you own and anchor it to the wall and floor.  

There are pleny of free plans out there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't believe I've ever seen the term "too nice" ever applied to something from Harbor Freight before.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked at that exact same bench.  I went down to the local HF and they had it on display.  I don't know if it was just the display that was abused but the table was way off square and I didn't get the impression that it would be very sturdy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Just look at the uprights used for the legs and you can see that it is far to flimsy.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Even if it was built like the proper heavy workworkers bench it immitates it is still a bench built for woodworking with bench peg holes in the surface and a clamp for boards at the end.  You don't need or want that for a reloading bench.  Look at Sam's club, they have a powder coated silver metal leg work bench with a heavy hardwood top for a few bucks more.  No holes or nothing and a thicker top.  At any rate I'd bolt it in place.

A homebuilt and customized bench would be better.  just think it through and look at the bolt patterns of your tools so that you don't run into issues with placement on your new bench.  I've done that before myself, been 1/3" off and had to downsize my washers to fit.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm using Craftsman Professional 5 ft. Workbenches for reloading. They are very sturdy. The work surface is thick and presses mount well to them. You might want to check them out. A bit more money, but more suited to the task. They run about $216.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959181000P?keyword=workbench
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I looked at that exact same bench.  I went down to the local HF and they had it on display.  I don't know if it was just the display that was abused but the table was way off square and I didn't get the impression that it would be very sturdy.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was hoping someone had looked at it in person.

I'll keep on looking  for something a little more stable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Workbench legs from Grainger, a solid core door from the home center for a top, a 1 inch board for a bottom shelf and stiffening, done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My guess is that the table will wobble when you use the press. Home depot sells a kit where you just add the 2X4's and tghe counter top, you can make it as big as you want. Cabelas also has the kit.

+1 on this.  I went that route and it was easy, I got to make it the exact size I wanted and it's very sturdy.

2x4 Basics

Edit: Here are some pics of the bench over in the...well...the pic thread:

Official Reloading Bench Picture Thread - Now with 100% more Pictures!   (Page 12 of 12)
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even if it was built like the proper heavy workworkers bench it immitates it is still a bench built for woodworking with bench peg holes in the surface and a clamp for boards at the end.  You don't need or want that for a reloading bench.  Look at Sam's club, they have a powder coated silver metal leg work bench with a heavy hardwood top for a few bucks more.  No holes or nothing and a thicker top.  At any rate I'd bolt it in place.

A homebuilt and customized bench would be better.  just think it through and look at the bolt patterns of your tools so that you don't run into issues with placement on your new bench.  I've done that before myself, been 1/3" off and had to downsize my washers to fit.

I bought the bench from Sams. I put several coats of urethane on it and added a 1/4 " plate under and on top of where I mounted my press. It looks nice and is solid. I think anyone would be pleased with it. They also sell a set of drawers that will slide under one side.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
A good friend of mine uses that same bench, and it works great.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a similar woodworking bench that's from Rockler.  As it stands that would be WAY too unstable for press-work.  But if you bolted it to floor/wall, it should work just fine.  I'd find a way to layer some nice plywood over the top so you don't go putting holes in the birch though...

As a purpose built woodworking bench, you're paying for stuff you don't really need.  Now if you also dabble in woodworking, and can design a removable reloading setup so you can use the table as a woodworking bench, that would kill two birds.  But you'd have the problem of dust in your reloading area...  There are more expensive woodworking benches that would be stable without any permanent attachment to floor or wall, but they'd be ridiculous expensive.
cheers, Benji

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Scroll down to the "Official Reloading Bench Thread" and see what everyone is using.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking bench.

But as others have said, the legs are a bit thin and will need beefing up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I actually considered buying this same exact bench but it definitely isn't as well built as even the picture looks. I wouldn't even consider it for reloading or at least if you plan on bolting a press to it.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#18]
For years I used the heavy duty Workmate fold up bench from Home Depot with no problems and a lot cheaper and easier to store when not being used.  Used a 550B and just drilled four holes in bench and mounted with wing nuts and washers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought mine from sam's and works great. Good top and legs and about $170 if i remember right and it's real butcher's block.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Any bench like the one in your post, properly secured to the studs of your house, will be more than sturdy enough for reloading.  

Was that benchtop solid?  It looked to be more than 2" thick.  Is it really?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any bench like the one in your post, properly secured to the studs of your house, will be more than sturdy enough for reloading.  

Was that benchtop solid?  It looked to be more than 2" thick.  Is it really?

No, the top in TheTracker's post had a face board. It's a flimsy piece of Harbor Freight junk.

ARsR4ME's post shows a proper bench with a good solid wood top.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I have that exact one from HF and so does a friend of mine. It's actually pretty sturdy and definitely worth the money I spent on it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont know about trusting any form of furniture form Harbor Freight, everything that they have assembled in the store from table saws to sitting benches wobbles.

For about 40. more you can buy what I have (and I think may be pictured above) from Sams.

Sams Link

This is a permanent piece of furniture, can hold 1000lbs on its top.   You can also build shelving on the lower tier.  Extreemly solid.  

The Harbor Freight one LOOKS good, but I doubt its solid.

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#24]
You would likely need to bolt it to the wall to stabilize it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I forgot to mention I cut some 3"x3" angle and anchored it to the wall. I used it for wahile with out it but the table did move. Not no more though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#26]
If you can bolt it to a wall it should be GTG.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe I've ever seen the term "too nice" ever applied to something from Harbor Freight before.

I swear I thought the exact same thing when I read that!

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I just finished putting my bench together using the 2x4 basics kit. Now I need to get all the reloading stuff mounted, run the cord for the light, and add some pegboard hooks etc.
7'x2.5' and solid as a truck. A little overkill perhaps with 3/4" thick shelves but I wanted it to be solid. I made the middle shelf a 1/2 shelf so I could sit closer to the bench and prop my feet up if I wanted. I used Birch for the top work surface and it is nice and smooth.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just finished putting my bench together using the 2x4 basics kit. Now I need to get all the reloading stuff mounted, run the cord for the light, and add some pegboard hooks etc.
7'x2.5' and solid as a truck. A little overkill perhaps with 3/4" thick shelves but I wanted it to be solid. I made the middle shelf a 1/2 shelf so I could sit closer to the bench and prop my feet up if I wanted. I used Birch for the top work surface and it is nice and smooth.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7804/cimg6753.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6821/cimg6739.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1620/cimg6756.jpg

Nice stain job.  I like the look.  But...you just HAD to go a foot longer than mine, didn't you?  Now I feel inadequate.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm putting a bench upstairs in a spare bedroom.

I have a solid bench already mounted down in the basement but would also like on upstairs.

Does anyone use one of these?

thanks
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93454

It should work and looks very nice......just be careful if you are running a case feeder to get the bench as rock solid as possible. I had this problem with my 650 and had to screw the bench to the wall so the casefeeder wouldn't jam or drop cases in upside down
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine is just two 8' 4X4, a few 2x4 and a sheet of plywood, about $60 in materials I think. I could park a car on it now if I wanted. I have dreams and aspirations of putting more shelve and some drawers on it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top