Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 3:48:38 PM EDT
i would like to start loading my owe ammo. what all do i need? whats is the best and hopefully cheapest equipment i should get.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#1]
First I will say goto the Reloading Forum listed under the Armory Section, you'll find a lot of information there.

and to answer some of your question, I would suggest you buy some reloading books, the ABC's of reloading, The Hornady reloading book etc...  Gain Knowledge on the subject and read a lot about it first.

You want the cheapest equipment, well you can do that but you'll be reloading a lot slower than the more expensive progressive type of reloading.  Time=Money. so it varies from person to person how valuable that is.

Which calibers will you want to reload etc....

Anyway you have a lot of research to do. HTH
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
yep.

First stop––a good Public Library with Reloading Handbooks and it costs nothing!

Check all the steps in manuals, C/Ds, youtubes, videos, etc.

A lot of guys just don't have the time or inclination to reload. Determine this first.

Then, go with a major brand: Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Lee, Forester, etc.

TIP: Buy the most accurate and best scale you can afford.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#3]
thank you a lot. knowledge is power. thank you again.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Most people use a reloading press to crank out rounds as fast as they can, but I want you to consider another way - handloading.
Each round is done one at a time by hand (each step is done by hand). It's very relaxing to watch TV and do hand loading at the same time.

Women - knit. Men - hand load.

Plus you get to buy cool tools like this:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/9118/Priming-Tools
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently just went out and purchased a kit

For an absolute starter the kit i got seems great.

Lee breach Lock Challenger kit

The only things you need other then kit is
––Reloading book
––dies for each caliber
––calipers
––case length guage (nice to have and only $4)
––tumbler if you want (not necessary)

––powder
––primers
––brass
––bullets

THe kit actually comes with everything except the case guage to trim rifle brass to the correct length.

Someone suggested the Hornady book so i bought it, but im not all that impressed. It goes along o explain everything, but 90% of the book is load data for every caliber you could ever imagine, but for being $30 there isnt many different loading data for .223/5.56 and unfortunetly for me i got AA2230 powder and only one of the loads hornady lists has data for AA2230
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This question comes up frequently and can't be simply answered.  Please do a search and see how it has been answered before.  

BUT, before going any further please buy something like the Lyman Reloading handbook or one of the other ones.  Stay away from Sierra for now as it is not a primer on relaoding, at least that is my opinion.  Lyman's book walks you trhough the entire reloading process and explains everything you need.  From reading some sites, like this one, you will quickly find other neat things that make things easier.  Basics is where to start and not jump too fast. Go slow and learn what you are doing and what you are getting into.  Mistakes are not fun.

Once you see what you are getting into, and make a list of what you need, then you can decide how deep to go.  You can spend a lot and get into it heavy, or you can spend a lot less and start slow.  Your own budget will determine that.  As to what to get as far as a press goes, the biggest and most important decision, you will get every different answer and recommendation immaginable.  Blue, red, green, yellow, (ok maybe I went too far there), single, progessive, turret etc etc.  You have to decide for yourself.  

There is no one answer for a reloading outfit.  Some above started a list for you.  Get the book and read up on what it is all about.  Go slow and you will do ok.

John
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top