Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 11:09:09 AM EDT
What is the consensus on H414? Reading on a few other sites that it is good stuff.

Bought some for my 243 to try out (because they were out of the 4831...)

If you are using it, are you using Magnum Primers? One of my books says Mag's the other says nothing... (I think the Speer book spec'ed Mags and the Nosler didn't)

Also one of the books mentions to only use their loading data for the case's spec'ed (Winchester in this case). What is up with that?

Another side note, I checked on the reloading data @ Hodgdon. I assume the Hodgdon data is as good as it gets...

Thanks Folks!

Poll to follow...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My main rifle powder is H4895 it allways gave me great results, but it's hard to find, for handguns it's Titegroup. My buddy uses Vihtavuori for comptition and high end hunting loads , so I am going to give it a try. It's 50% more money and they say it's the best powder and it's easy to find. When I test it I'll give a range report.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I use H414 in my 308 quite a bit, works for me....will also be using it in my 303 Enfield....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I love it in my .30/06, been using it for many years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't H414 equal to Win. 760?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes.  I asked Hogdon via email if the two powders were similar and their reply was that the two powders are not similar, they are the exact same powder.  The powder comes out of production and they fill-up both cans from the same batch.  Buy whichever is available at the best price.  I like it for .243 and .260AI OK.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
H414 is what started my first 30-06.  I load it very, very hot, in the summer.  I hunt at fairly high altitudes,5000 and up, and in the winter when its around 20deg or lower(20below), it shoots "just hot".  Temp sensitive. I load 56.5gr behind serr. 165gr. hollow pts(bombs). That extra .5gr is very significant.  Seems to give it a spike of pressure.  As always a slow,.5gr work up until you see the pressure signs. Flows through your powder measure like water. Jerry
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My main rifle powder is H4895 it allways gave me great results, but it's hard to find, for handguns it's Titegroup. My buddy uses Vihtavuori for comptition and high end hunting loads , so I am going to give it a try. It's 50% more money and they say it's the best powder and it's easy to find. When I test it I'll give a range report.

Mike

Hey! I got 10 pounds of VV N160 specially for .243 and the like.  I'm lookin to unload it.  You wanna buy it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  I asked Hogdon via email if the two powders were similar and their reply was that the two powders are not similar, they are the exact same powder.  The powder comes out of production and they fill-up both cans from the same batch.  Buy whichever is available at the best price.  I like it for .243 and .260AI OK.

Bob

Mind if I ask what you are loading your 243 to? I did 4 cartridges @ 39 gr... 95gr Nosler. Just got to let it dry out a bit before I can make it to the range...

From these few loads I can only say that it is quite a pleasure to work with. Easy through the UNIflow, easy to measure... Slightly concerned with pressures at the temperature extremes of South Dakota (110+ to -10, albeit I probably will not do a LOT of shooting when it is -10F!)

Edit: forgot bullet weight..

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
It has worked fine for me in the .243 Win with 70 to 80 grain bullets.

I used standard CCI 200 primers, but really never have shot the load in below freezing temps - I would think about trying the "standard" Win WLR primer which is fairly hot and does very well with ball powders (likely because it was developed for them by Olin) - therefore I think it would be a great compromise in a .243-size case.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. I asked Hogdon via email if the two powders were similar and their reply was that the two powders are not similar, they are the exact same powder. The powder comes out of production and they fill-up both cans from the same batch. Buy whichever is available at the best price. I like it for .243 and .260AI OK.

Bob

Mind if I ask what you are loading your 243 to? I did 4 cartridges @ 39 gr... 95gr Nosler. Just got to let it dry out a bit before I can make it to the range...

From these few loads I can only say that it is quite a pleasure to work with. Easy through the UNIflow, easy to measure... Slightly concerned with pressures at the temperature extremes of South Dakota (110+ to -10, albeit I probably will not do a LOT of shooting when it is -10F!)

Edit: forgot bullet weight..

I was shooting 41.1gr with a Berger 95gr VLD. Shot great for me. Hodgdon lists their reloading data here. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Bob
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Im going to test out my 30.06 and 300wsm loads this weekend. Im using H414 and nosler green tip 165 gr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top