Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2009 3:53:45 AM EDT
Is anyone on here running RL-17 or maybe one of the 4350 variants in a 24-26" 308 pushing the 208?

There is a thread on the hide with a guy using about 50 gr of RL-17 at 3.0 oal getting some good results, about 2650 from a 22" barrel I think.

Seems the burn rate is similar to H4350 which should be more temperature stable. Any crazies like myself on here?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No one here trying to push heavies out of a .308?

N550 is supposed to be a good powder for heavy loads too I believe but I"m not sure how it handles temperature.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
most of the vv stuff is supposed to be temp stable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
There are threads on snipershide about this they were getting some what I thought were impressive velocities with n550 I think.

Hereis one on rl17 vs n550

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1135344

I don't reload I just like seeing how far people people are pushing the envelope. I think it is cool.

Eta: if 2600 fps with a 208 amax is possible that is Wow. Almost twice the energy at 1000 vs a 168gr amax. And ~32moa vs ~37moa.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you attempting to do with the 208s?  Did you happen to come into a batch for cheap and just want to shoot them?  Wanting to shoot through a can and subsonically?

I guess you can get 240 SMKs to exit  a 308 case, but the point is, is why bother?

I would think you'd want a 1:10" twist with those 208s, so jumping that hurdle, you're back to single feeding which might not be a PITA, but why not just use something like the 155s Scenars if you're itching for longer ranges?

Maybe dump the 208s and get a more appropriate bullet?  208s would be wonderful in the 30/06 case, where you've got a bit more room for powder.  

I think MontanaMarine loves them as his pet load, IIRC?

Chris

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I use H380 as it is very dense and gives high velocities with 200s if you can load long (3" and longer).  Since I have a long action, the length doesn't matter.

IMHO, RL 17 is too slow and bulky.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are you attempting to do with the 208s?  Did you happen to come into a batch for cheap and just want to shoot them?  Wanting to shoot through a can and subsonically?

I guess you can get 240 SMKs to exit  a 308 case, but the point is, is why bother?

I would think you'd want a 1:10" twist with those 208s, so jumping that hurdle, you're back to single feeding which might not be a PITA, but why not just use something like the 155s Scenars if you're itching for longer ranges?

Maybe dump the 208s and get a more appropriate bullet?  208s would be wonderful in the 30/06 case, where you've got a bit more room for powder.  

I think MontanaMarine loves them as his pet load, IIRC?

Chris

I've read MontanaMarine's thread on the Hide and I'm very intrigued by his results. It looks like he's running a cut down PSS or SPS-V as he mentions Rem chamber/throat and 1/12 twist, which that in itself amazes me that the 208s will stabilize out of that barrel.

I've got a factory 26" tube still and if he can get 2650 out of a 20.5" barrel with RL-17 them i'm interested in finding out what they will do from mine.

And yes they will have to be single loaded at 3.0 oal except for maybe out of a modified aics mag or accurate-mag with the Precision Shooting Sports WSM bottom metal. Honestly though when shooting 800yds+ feeding from the mag doesn't seem as important as in close.

As for scenars I have a pretty good load worked up with them at about 2930fps that feeds from the mag. I just want to play with the Amaxes at longer range. Run the numbers .648 BC vs .508 makes a difference at 1000 in fps, energy, and wind.

I guess I'm just looking to max out the .308.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
i was shooting with a guy the other weekend that was using 208's over RL17. he was using 50grs of powder (yeah, i know it's a lot of powder) and was getting 2700ishFPS out of a .308WIN in a remmy 700. no bad pressure signs. i would start lower and work up to be safe.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
In my limited experience (not fired in a bolt action .308) slow powders and heavy bullets are a great combination.

I was using IMR 4350 (don't remember the grains) with Federal BR primers and Sierra 180 match BT's.  It was definately a (really) compressed powder charge but there was never any signs of pressure.  If you've been reloading for awhile you've probably seen its tough to get enough slow burning powder in a .308 case to make high pressures.

At the time I thought my good (great really, compared to what my rifle usually shot) groups out to 600 yds. were due to the combination of the uniform burn of the compressed slow burning powder, the Sierra matchkings and the way the load "resonated" in my rifle.

I plan on doing it again with a different rifle, 30.06 next time since I should be able to get a little more velocity out of that.

There are so many new powders available these days vs. when I started reloading back inthe '70's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i was shooting with a guy the other weekend that was using 208's over RL17. he was using 50grs of powder (yeah, i know it's a lot of powder) and was getting 2700ishFPS out of a .308WIN in a remmy 700. no bad pressure signs. i would start lower and work up to be safe.

That's what I'm hoping to get out of mine with the factory 26" tube, I think it ought to be doable if Montanamarine gets 2650 out of a 20.5" barrel especially with the slow powder the extra 4" oughta help out more than a lighter bullet with a fast powder.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah, if you've got a 26" tube, i think you'll be able to get that.

i watched a few guys shoot those loads at 1000yds and they were getting decent trajectories on them as well as really good group sizes. i'm not sure what twist they had in the their barrels but most were either remington SPS's or GAP builds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top