Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 11:24:01 PM EDT
so its the end of a long week and i finally remembered to buy a grease gun to lube the lube points on my Hornady Lock-and-Load press. I have loaded probably over 10,000 rounds with this thing without problems and suddenly decided to buy a grease gun to lube lube the press ( i know, if its not broke dont fix it.)

Anyhow its the end of a long week and i decided to have a drink with the wife while messing with the gun. I unscrewed the metal container that holds the cardboard grease tube insert and put in a new grease cartridge. Cut the top off the grease insert and before i was able to screw the top on the grease gun the spring loaded mechanism accidently got released and BLOOOOOP!!!!!! and an entire 3 oz cartridge of grease rapidly ejected a foot into the air and onto the carpet, my hand and the gun. I finally got it all cleaned up and brought the grease gun over to the press where i then proceeded to make a mess out of the once perfectly good press as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL . . . pics are most definitely required here.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Answer?  Another drink.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
More proof that (grease)guns and alcohol don't mix.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything is bigger in Texas....including the messes.

After ingesting alcohol, play with wife, girl friend or dog, but leave the reloading equipment alone until you get sober.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of a different grease gun when I saw the topic and wondering why this would be in the reloading section...

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate it when that happens.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was thinking of a different grease gun when I saw the topic and wondering why this would be in the reloading section...

http://world.guns.ru/smg/m3_gg1.jpg

Me too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]

"I am above the law!"

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everything is bigger in Texas....including the messes.

After ingesting alcohol, play with wife, girl friend or dog, but leave the reloading equipment alone until you get sober.

trust me. On the rare occasion that i do drink, all the guns and dangerous objects get locked up in the safe, all the doors and windows get locked, and the alarm is set. We dont go out of the house untill we are both sober. And i would never actually mess around with the reloading press or attempt to reload or adjust anything.

I was just trying to lube the grease points with the grease gun. It seemed caveman simple. Unfortunately I wasnt paying much attention to what i was doing.

No pictures either, we got things cleaned up with a bunch of rags, paper towels, shout, the portable carpet cleaner, and about half a can of paint thinner!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"I am above the law!"

I have no idea what this means. Im not aware of any law that  says i cant play with grease guns while drinking in my own home.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
the law of common sense!

LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like in the future it's worthwhile to unbolt the press and lube it outside or in the garage.  I have an old beat up pickup truck with a crappy warped plastic

bed liner.  It's my workbench for such projects.   Right now there's some spots on the bed where there's 1/4" or more of polyurathane since I painted 30 shelves with poly a couple weeks ago when I was reorganzing my garage due to the termite infestation

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, just wait until you graduate up to the "big" grease guns (14 oz I think). We once had a grease gun that ever once in a while the "catch" would just let go for now apparent reason. Needless to say, after you waste a few tubes of high-dollar grease, you could've just bought a new, better gun. So we "used" to have that gun, it got replaced after about the 2nd time. BTW, 14 oz of grease makes a huge mess; but its much easier to clean up off of a concrete shop floor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top