Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 10:27:46 AM EDT
So my question is:

Usually I load up sierra rounds w/o the cannelure, but now I've got some hornadys that have it.  The sierra manual has the COAL for their spire points at 2.250, but when I load the hornadys to this length the cannelure is still a good 1/16in above the rim of the case.  Im not crimping anything; I just got the rounds with the cannelure 'cause they were cheap ;).  Anyway, do I load these suckers to the cannelure or the recommended COAL?  Or is it even going to make a difference?

Thanks,
Ben
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Lee Factory Crimp die.  You can effectively put a light crimp on bullets that don't have a cannelure/ below the cannelure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Hornady loads the spire point to 2.200". I would recommend you work up a new load.  I have had very good results with H335 and Hornady SPP lightly crimped mid-cannelure.  I am sure most people could squeeze more accuracy out of them than I can

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Note what SPEER says about the cannelure and COAL.............

Q.
The rifle bullet I'm loading has a crimp groove, but the cartridge length recommended puts the groove out of the case. Should I change the seating length to make the crimp groove line up.

A.
No. Not all rifle cartridges require crimping. The groove on the bullet is positioned for those that need the crimp. If the recommended seating length puts the crimp groove above or below the case mouth, we determined that crimping was not needed. Having the crimp groove above or below the case mouth has no adverse effects on accuracy or performance.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
You can go either way, seat to an OAL as in the pic,

Or seat to mid cannelure.

You could load some both ways, shoot them and see what works best for you.

Crimp is also optional.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Seat them so they fit the mag, cycle through the action, produce the best accuracy and you have at least one bullet diameter of bullet seated into the case.  Or into the cannelure if you wish, doesn't much matter.  

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must
be seen as a guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of
the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top