Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 6:44:28 AM EDT
Can the primer pocket be measured after swaging to check for the correct size or is setting a primer the only way?  I have about 3000 casings that I want to start swaging but currently no primers to check the pocket for the correct size.  I do have some primers on order but who knows how long until the come in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I just read every thread I could find on it and figured out as much. I guess I'll just have to wait until I find some primers.

Saw your other posts about using the Dillon Swager, very useful info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I just read every thread I could find on it and figured out as much. I guess I'll just have to wait until I find some primers.

Saw your other posts about using the Dillon Swager, very useful info.

Would it possibly be useful to try out some spent primers? Decap some ammo and see if they fit?

I'm not sure how much the shape changes on .223 during regular firing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if that will work. I do have some non-mil brass that I could decap first.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I posted this in the other swager thread.

I use the swaging button (part that enters primer pocket) from the RCBS swaging tool as a go / nogo gauge to set my Dillon Super Swage.

If the button goes in the primer pocket hard, more swaging is needed.

You just want a slight resistance.

Then prime a case for the final test. You don't want 3k cases that aren't swaged correctly

Decapped primers would not be a good substite for checking the swage IMHO.

You don't want to ruin your entire batch.

Try your Home Town Forum and ask somebody to sell you 100 primers to get you started.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I will wait until I can get some primers to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top