Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 8:29:24 AM EDT

I'm looking to stock up on components for a long winter of reloading.

Anyone using Montana Gold for .223?

Any other inexpensive, but decent quality bulk projectiles I should be considering?

My fiance and I are simply casual shooters, but want to practice with some accuracy. Not precision shooting, but I'd like to produce better then "bulk" for less then bulk prices (if that makes sense)

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate to say this because I love Montana Gold for my pistol rounds.  However, with the MG .223 the POI spread is at least 4 times what I get with the same load and bullet weight with Sierra MatchKing HPBT.  This was observed at the same shooting session with the same rifle support.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hate to say this because I love Montana Gold for my pistol rounds.  However, with the MG .223 the POI spread is at least 4 times what I get with the same load and bullet weight with Sierra MatchKing HPBT.  This was observed at the same shooting session with the same rifle support.

I would say that the spread is somewhat normal if you are comparing it to a match grade closed base bullet. Remember, these are bulk packed open based FMJ's. I have never tried them myself but I have heard that they are close to comparable to the Hornady's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Are you kidding me? MatchKing are twice the price of the Montana Gold.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP said he was interested in accuracy.  I only commented on my experience with accuracy through the same rifle with similar loads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I think eweloader's comparison is valid.  We should all be SMART enough to know that there's a difference between matchking and bulk.  And the MK are just a baseline for comparison.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But 4 times more accurate!  Seems like a good deal to me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But 4 times more accurate!  Seems like a good deal to me!

Yeah, I guess you're right. Sorry EW.

Still looking for suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I would look to Hornady for bulk packaged bullets that shoot well.
I have bought bulk Hornady's from Midsouth Shooters Supply and been happy with the prices, availability and service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top