Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 5:02:03 PM EDT
Can i use LR primers Instead of LP primers. cause im running low on LP.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Try an experiment...............

With two de-capped pistol cases (that would ordinarly use a Large pistol primer)...........cap one with a LR and one with a LP primer.  

See any difference?

Run your finger on the case's bottom (headstamp area)...........feel any difference?

Aloha, Mark

PS............the basic diameters are the same...........but, some have mentioned a difference between heights.  Then not to mention, variations by brand.  Thus, the suggestion.

And for liability reasons, I'll add..............

Never mix or substitute components.
Every lot of powder, primers, bullets, brass, and any other components can differ significantly. Different manufacturer's components differ substantially. For example, never substitute Federal brand primers for Magtech, and expect the same results. One primer may be fine with your load, but another brand may cause extreme pressures with the same load. Don't substitute magnum primers for standard primers for the same reason. Just because two brands of powder have similar characteristics, that does not mean they are interchangeable or mixable. Every time you finish with a lot of a component, you will have to back off the load slightly and start over, checking for overpressure signs, just as you did when you first worked the load up. You are in essence working up a brand new load.

Taken from the Magtech web site.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Scott

No you can't.
  LR will protrude from LP pockets. LR are "taller" than LP. Good luck on your primer search.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

No you can't.   LR will protrude from LP pockets. LR are "taller" than LP. Good luck on your primer search.

This is simply not so with all manufacturers. Most manufacturers make their LR primers a bit taller, but I believe that there is at least one out there that makes them the same. And to add to that, I have substituted LR for LP safely in the past, not to mention that it was in an AR where there is this "big concern" about slam fires to begin with. I'm not saying that you should do it, or that it is safe to do it, but in my experience, as long as you properly "test" it before loading up an entire magazine are/or loading up 1K rounds it can be done.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
NJ HP
Scroll down there is a chart with Rifle Primer Cup dimensions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Scott

Why not?  You could also load a 45-70 into a .410 shot gun.  Good idea? NO  There is a reason why primers come in many flavors.  Stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top