Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 3:51:52 PM EDT
I have some XM193F brass that needs decrimped and I want to buy this, but some of the reviews have me concerned. Is there anything wrong with it, or am I worrying too much?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have it, and it works well.  My guess is the guy who resorted to the drill never bothered to read the directions, and the guys bending the rods think it's a power lifting competition.  

My only complaint is that you have to reset it for the web thickness on different manufactures brass.  But, since you only have to do it once per batch, it's not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It works ok, follow the instructions.

A better tool is the Dillon Super Swage, but it costs $100.

The Hornady primer pocket reamer works well for a small number of cases.

Just depends on your budget.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and use it but it does become a pain if you doing like 1000 cases of LC. I hear the dillon is easier to use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used one for the last 28 years (it was the only option back then), and have processed thousands of .223 brass on it.  I've never had any problem with it.

Follow the instructions, and you won't have any trouble.  Be certain to sort the brass by head stamp.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and have used it for 3 years, as I don't want to spend the $100 for the blue one, and I have not spotted a crimp ring reamer tool that meets my specifications.  As soon as I do, no more swaging for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the CH4D swaging tool myself.  I've used it with great success.  

Here's a link to an article on it that shows it in pretty good detail

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/squeezeplay2/index.asp
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used one for years,

I swage after size/trim/deprime, had to size/polish the mandrel down a bit to fit in the sized 223 case mouth, done it this way so the case still has lube on it, the little bit of lube helps the case pop off the swage bud easily.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The one thing I will say that is far better about the CD4H tool than the RCBS is that you only need to cycle the ram approx 1/2" to swage the pocket compared to fully cycling the ram with the RCBS unit.  This will save you a ridiculous amount of time and the tool costs approx. the same.  It was around $30 for mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've used one for the last 28 years (it was the only option back then), and have processed thousands of .223 brass on it.  I've never had any problem with it.

Follow the instructions, and you won't have any trouble.  Be certain to sort the brass by head stamp.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have some XM193F brass that needs decrimped and I want to buy this, but some of the reviews have me concerned. Is there anything wrong with it, or am I worrying too much?

I'm sure glad you found some guys who've had nothing but good times with the tool.  So maybe the three large pocket swage buttons I have collected really are all undersized.  My concscience won't let me stay silent on this one...inspite of the fact that I'm once of RCBS's greatest proponents and fans, using their products for almost 40 years.

I have swaged 1000 LC .308 cases with it (three times) and priming is still not a good time.  Can be done mind you, but not without some deformed primers.  RCBS told me to send my tools and a half doz. swaged cases back and they'd analyze them and "get me back to the bench."  I use their progressive press which is great in all other ways, but when the swager is only part-time then loading progressively can become disastrous using that .308 military brass.  

To the guy who said I can't read directions.  There's not much to read, and if followed, the tool swages even less.  I have to bottom out the plug to get it to swage as much as I have.  To the guys who bend their swager rods:  That's caused by trying to smash the web into oblivion.  I make sure the plug is all the way in the pocket, which should round the outside rim of the pocket a tad, due to the inside radius between the plug and its base.  More than that causes the bent parts.

That said, the small pocket rod and plug, I haven't tested yet, so maybe that one works and it's what all these glowing reports are all about...or...I'm just lucky and found 3 undersized plugs out of millions.

And yet...your XM193F brass may work just fine.  Worst case scenario:  You're out $30.  Not too serious.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]
RCBS's tool works OK on .223. It really doesn't work to well on 7.62mm LC brass. The Dillon is way easier to use.

If you want the RCBS to work better use some lube on the swager head. It will get stuck in the case if you don't, you will have to smack the crap out of the press handle to get it out. This problem is worse in 7.62 LC than in .223.

The press has all sorts of power to leverage into the full up position, it's just the opposite when trying to get it out.

The Dillon has to be adjusted for headstamps too. It's just they way they both work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy the Dillon Swag tool.  It costs more but much easier to use.

I have both and like the Dillon much much better.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looks impressive and may be as fast as the Dillon at 1/4 the price.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I use to own one (RCBS swage tool).......I didn't like mine.

Some info for you.......

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/squeezeplay/index.asp

For me.......I've gone to the reamer method.

Both methods will do the job........but, you need to decide for yourself what method/tools you prefer.  And, it'll depend on how you like to do things.

Me......I like to use my reamer while watching TV.

IF you do it with a swage.......well, watch out for your fingers.   Then, the adjustment and the flash channel burr that may get bent causing an obstruction (you get to decide what you want to do about that too).

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks impressive and may be as fast as the Dillon at 1/4 the price.

It's works very well and is extremely quick.  Speed wise I think it easily beats both the Dillon and the RCBS tool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I used the swager once and was not happy.  I switched to a reamer I set up in my RCBS prep station and works great for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both. I actually use the RCBS tool to set up my Dillon swage tool and to check my brass to see if they even need swaging.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have both. I actually use the RCBS tool to set up my Dillon swage tool and to check my brass to see if they even need swaging.

Can you describe what you're doing here? I don't quite follow the concept.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#20]
had it sold it .glad its gone and my fingers are too!!!!! bought a dillon swag works good some times i have to redue a few case .
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you describe what you're doing here? I don't quite follow the concept.

I use the swaging button (part that enters primer pocket) from the RCBS tool as a go / nogo gauge to set my Dillon Super Swage.

If the button goes in the primer pocket hard, more swaging is needed.

You just want a slight resistance.

Then prime a case for the final test. You don't want 1k cases that aren't swaged correctly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Am I correct in assuming that you don't have to sort headstamps (web thickness) to use the Dillion Swager?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Am I correct in assuming that you don't have to sort headstamps (web thickness) to use the Dillion Swager?

You still need to sort from what I've read.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I use it for 30-06, 7.62x51 and 5.56. No problems here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I use one for .223.  I have learned not to bottom out the swager.  Hasn't been necessary to really pull on the handle to do the job, and I actually like it when the primer is quite snug in it's little home.  I want the case necks to wear out before the primer pocket does.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I correct in assuming that you don't have to sort headstamps (web thickness) to use the Dillon Swager?

You still need to sort from what I've read.

When you first start, yes.

When you get the "feel" you just lower the handle "just the right amount" and stop there. Handle doesn't go all the way down.

Sort the first 1k and swage, then try your "feel" technique.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top