Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 10:05:47 AM EDT
I bought a 20 lbs of rice back in 2004 to use as a huricane food supply in case I needed it.  I never used it.

I think it is time to get rid of the stuff.  I don't want to eat it because it is old although it still looks OK.

I woundering if I could use it for tumbling media.

Has anybody ever used rice for that purpose?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Too soft. It'll be flour by the time your cases get clean.
BTW, if you kept it closed up, it's still good to eat.

ETA : I should have used the term "brittle" instead of "soft".
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually un ccoked rice is pretty hard and some people have used it as media.so I don't think a vibratory tumbler would break the rice down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't do it.

It's wasteful to use rice (food) for that purpose.    Not to mention, to an Oriental person it's probably a "sin" that will bring you bad karma.

Eat it or donate it to your local food bank.

Buy some crushed walnut shells or corn cob media made for the purpose. Afterall, it's a "by-product" of the food and you won't be offending the "hungry masses."

Besides............I'm hungry.

Aloha, Mark

PS............when we (reloaders) recycle our brass cartridge cases........(besides being cheap) we're also making an ecological statement.    Don't waste.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Additionally, the rice will absorb moisture out of the air.

May or may not be enough to cause expansion and tarnishing problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top