Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 8:07:23 PM EDT
I have accuracy issue with these rounds.  
http://i29.tinypic.com/vpyl1g_th.jpg

Weapon: M&P 9
Brass: Once fired Winchester
Powder: Power Pistol
Charge: 6.2 grains
Primer: Remington 1-1/2
C.O.A.L: 1.128
light crimp in middle of cannelure

Anyways,  at 10 yards I'm allover the map maybe 10" spread with 10 shots (terrible).

Before you you started flaming me how bad of a shot I'm. I shot while on a rest.  After I put 30 rounds down range I switch to WWB at may groups dropped to ~3"

I just need to now if I'm missing something or the bullets are just not right for this gun.

Thanks
Crittle
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't crimp pistol rounds like you do rifle at a cannelure, well at least not 9mm.

You only want to remove the belling with a taper crimp or Lee FCD.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd try seating them a little deeper to about 1.120". How's your bullet fit in the brass? Are bullets tight and can you push them deeper with your thumb or by pushing against your bench? Check the concentricity of the bullets by rolling them on a flat surface. Bullets wobbling? Don't over crimp but just enough taper crimp to remove the belling. You're pushing them pretty fast with your Power Pistol load. Recoil similiar to factory WWB?  Maybe the gun just don't like them? Are  the bullet diameters consistent? I'd really check to make sure you're seating them true and not tilted in the brass and also to make sure they have good bullet tension in the case.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd try seating them a little deeper to about 1.120". How's your bullet fit in the brass? Are bullets tight and can you push them deeper with your thumb or by pushing against your bench? Check the concentricity of the bullets by rolling them on a flat surface. Bullets wobbling? Don't over crimp but just enough taper crimp to remove the belling. You're pushing them pretty fast with your Power Pistol load. Recoil similiar to factory WWB?  Maybe the gun just don't like them? Are  the bullet diameters consistent? I'd really check to make sure you're seating them true and not tilted in the brass and also to make sure they have good bullet tension in the case.

Thanks rg1,

I will try seating them a little deeper.   The bullets are tight and can not be pushed or pulled easily in the case.
The bullets seam to be concentric but is difficult to check without putting a dial indicator on some of them, but seam to rolling evenly with the 20 or so tested.  Recoil is a little greater with the Power Pistol than the WWB. Just wanted to see if anybody has similar results.  Taper Crimp is out .008.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, definitely just a light taper crimp, not a roll crimp into the cannelure like a revolver round.

What does your data say?  I don't have any data for Power Pistol in front of me, but maybe you need to work up the charge a bit.  Or seat deeper, as said above, for higher pressure/higher velocity.

That said, some guns just don't like some load combos.  That's part of the fun of reloading, finding the winning combination for a particular gun.

Though 10 inches wide at 10 yds is pretty bad.  Do you have access to a chrono?  My guess is those loads are pretty low-velocity.  Are you keyholing at all?

Granted higher velocity doesn't always translate to higher accuracy/precision, but it can at times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top