Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2009 5:03:14 AM EDT
.025"
Measured one yesterday.  This is the same as the Rem 7-1/2.  While I know there are other variables in addition to cup thickness, at least for me, .025" means I am going to try them at normal pressure loads, maybe even a few at max load to see what they do.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
.025"
Measured one yesterday.  This is the same as the Rem 7-1/2.  While I know there are other variables in addition to cup thickness, at least for me, .025" means I am going to try them at normal pressure loads, maybe even a few at max load to see what they do.

Thickness is a small part of the strength.
Brass hardness (work hardening from manufacture) is very significant.

When drawing cartridges the head is work hardened and left that way for strength, while the brass often must be annealed (softened) to allow forming the neck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to mention that the alloy used could be different and the priming compound formula and amount used could be different from one mfn to the next.

But........by all means..........do your experiments and report back.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys, a dial caliper is about as far as my metullogical skills can take me in my garage.  I wish I could do a full spectrum analysis. I would not discount thickness as easily.  If the alloys are even close in composition they are going to have reasonably similar tensile strenghts.  

There has been no technical info available at all on these primers so at least I have answered one variable.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
haze10,

Don't get me wrong.

It's just that some people reading here..........may just assume things, based solely on the thickness issue.

Note:  Federal's Standard Sm Rifle primers measure .019" in thickness and they work with .223 Rem. pressures.  YMMV, due to other issues.

Remington 6 1/2 primers measure .020" in thickness and they do not recommended it with .223 Rem. re-loads.

But, Good or Bad......it's the ARFCOM way.

Aloha, Mark

PS............I suspect that you'll be fine with Magtech SR primers..........but, that is solely based on the lack of "very vocal" complaints.

Then, you may get the people that say to use ONLY Magnum SR primers with ammo meant for use in a rifle with a floating firing pin (such as the AR15).

That's also the ARFCOM way.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
haze10, I actually worked up a load today using Magtech SR primers for my AR.  I only put 50 rounds down range but I had no issues with the primers.  I worked up to the max published load for my powder and bullet combination and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
haze10, I actually worked up a load today using Magtech SR primers for my AR.  I only put 50 rounds down range but I had no issues with the primers.  I worked up to the max published load for my powder and bullet combination and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Not meaning to pry, but what was the load?
Just got some of the Magtech's myself.
Were your results comparable to what you were using before?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I just fired 15 in my ar15 today.  They all went boom and made a little group compared to 50 grain federal bulk pack.  I was trying to do a ladder test but apparently 186 yards is too close.  I was loading 24 to 26.7 tac in .2 grain increments with a 52 grain HPBT Sierra and lake city brass.  I will post up the ladder test later to see if anyone has an idea how to read it.

I also tried them in my 9mm CZ-75B, as I read that SP can be substituted with SR.  It worked ok but I did have some that keyhold in the target and some that required a second strike. I have never had any problems with this pistol using factory ammo.  I think I need to tweak my process to load lead as this is my first attempt at that which may explain the keyholes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not meaning to pry, but what was the load?
Just got some of the Magtech's myself.
Were your results comparable to what you were using before?

LC 05 once fired brass
55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
Ramshot TAC - Started at 23.5 gr ended at 26 gr (Nolser and Ramshot suggested max load at 26, Sierra 26.3)
Magtech SR primer

I settled on 25.5 gr of TAC which is the same charge I use when using the exact same components with CCI 400 primers

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Keyholing wouldn't have anything to do with the primer.  Hard strikes to me is a good sign.  These are rifle primers so you'd want the cup to be hard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top