Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 9:53:14 PM EDT
How much difference do you think there would be if I loaded 1k of 38 special in 5 different sittings.
I'm using 3.1gr 700x 158gr LSWC Asst brass CCI SP primers.
I average about 200 rounds at one sitting. I remove the powder every time I stop loading.
I haven't seem any difference myself when I take different batches to the range.
But being a noob I figured It's better to check with the experts!

Thanks
Steve
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you follow consistent reloading techniques then you should get consistent results.  Think about large manufactures, they don't load every caliber at the same time, they do batches as well.

The only difference may play out if you use a different scale or different dies, but even then, not enough to notice too much spread
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If you leave everything set and adjusted, then it should be exactly the same.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest that when you start up again, you throw 3 or 4 charges before you start up again as the powder may have settled and you want things the same as while you were reloading last time.  Other than that, everything should continue to be the same set up wise, you just have to make sure that you operate the press with the same speed and rhythm you used last time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you leave everything set and adjusted, then it should be exactly the same.

Yeah.  I do this all the time with AR ammo.  I load a hundred or two hundred empties after each combat training mission.  I prefer to keep my sessions short and focused.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would suggest that when you start up again, you throw 3 or 4 charges before you start up again as the powder may have settled and you want things the same as while you were reloading last time.  Other than that, everything should continue to be the same set up wise, you just have to make sure that you operate the press with the same speed and rhythm you used last time.

+1
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Good plan.  Don't get tired, sleepy, or distracted.  Breaking it up sometimes helps with that.
Just make sure everything is returned to "ready to start" when you finish between batches.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I constantly keep my reloading set up for a certain caliber until I finished with it.  When I sit down and load anything, it's normally in at least 1000 rds or more batchs.  No way am I doing that in one sitting.

My set up will sit for weeks sometimes due to work and life.  I keep the power in the jugs as much as possable and check my charges and scale before and during all sessions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice.
I make a couple of dummy rounds everytime I start a new session, just like I would if I were setting up all over again.

I've found that the gremlins like to  move stuff on me!

Steve
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Loading single stage, 200 rounds is a good reloading session.

Like mentioned, check powder measure, and keep going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top