Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 6:28:43 PM EDT
I'm stumped.  My Hornady Custom-Grade New Dimension sizing die is putting numerous faint scratches all the way around my .40 brass.  They're in line, straight, and you can just barely feel them with a finger nail.  They kind of remind me of a bar code.  I wash, dry, and tumble my brass before sizing and regularly clean my dies.  Took the die apart and cleaned with hot soapy water, then brake cleaner, using Q Tips.  No change.  Took the die to work and let it run in the ultasonic cleaner for an hour, didn't help.  Took the Dremel, a cloth buffing attachment, and some Flitz polish and work on it at low speed for a minute.  Still no help.  I've ran maybe 10,000 rounds through the die.  I'm wondering if the titanium  nitride collar is worn out.  I'll call Hornady in the morning.   Any one else had this problem.  What do you guy think?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Obama put a barcode inside your die so he can trace your ammo!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a well used old die that did this. I cleaned and polished the inside and it quit marking the cases. Might want to give at another go with the polish.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Check this link.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I think your die got scratched.

Maybe you can polish it out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It is common to get that if you run dusty cases into the sizer.
The dirt sticks to the sizer, then it starts scraping off brass, whitch becomes galled ONTO the die.
IAn E-xato knife will scrape most if not all off, the follow up with a good copper removing bore cleaner on a patch and brush run in a drill.
'Borg
ETA, Unless you've run diamond dust in the die,, you didn't scratch it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a rcbs comp. die in .308 that had the same problem.  I cleaned it with carb. cleaner, shooters choice, alcohol, then buffed it with a dremel using the dremel polishing compound.  That worked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top