Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 7:16:49 AM EDT
This powder is new to me and I have tried several loads but haven't found perfection.  Any good seating depths, loads, or tricks for using Varget with 168 Amax or 175SMK.  I did check the load data section but it was vague.  FYI...rifle is a Rem. 5R stock.  I am looking for pure accuracy with around 2600 or better Muzzle Vel.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
From bullet weight I will ASSUME you are loading .308 . My 700 really likes 42 Gr of Varget with 168 Gr Match Kings. I don't know or care what the muzzle Vel is but it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA all day. SS
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
First off becareful with getting loading data from unreliable sources....

If you consult the Hodgdon web site you will find data based on using WW cases.  Do no mix cases, use only one lot of brass for loads..

You should find nirvana using Magazine Length ammo with the two bullets you have chosen.  If you go to chasing the lands then you would want to look at Berger VLD's or 178gr AMax.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
In my Savage right around 44 and again just over 45 with a 168 SMK. 2.805 length in Rem or Win brass.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The sweet spot for my 5R using 175 SMK's and Varget is 44.2 grs with a CCI BR2 primers and Lapua brass.  This load is on the warm side, work up slowly and watch for signs of excessive pressure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
My rem 700 and my bro's savage .308 will both shoot 1/4 moa with 43.5g varget at 2.800 OAL with 168g A-Max's....its a nice load that is under the max by quite a bit and shoots very nicely in most other .308 rifles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My Rem 5R likes
SMK 175gr at 2610fps-1/4moa
SGK 165gr at 2750fps-1/2moa
VMAX 110gr at 3050fps-1/2moa

Varget
Lapua Brass
F210M Primers

Call Sierra and they will e-mail you all load data for their bullet
Log onto Hogdon and they will have load data or you can call them as well.
And my favorite....call Hornady and they will give you their load data. I just love their answering service!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got plenty load data from the Manufactures.  I was curious about pet loads you guys may be willing to offer.  I have been using an older RCBS balance scale.  Man I hate this thing.  Right when it's balance it goes hay wire....freakin nuts.  I'm beginning to think the charge weights are varying from round to round.  But I'm answering this with an RCBS chargemaster.  That little hooker will be here tommorrow.  Then it's back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got plenty load data from the Manufactures.  I was curious about pet loads you guys may be willing to offer.  I have been using an older RCBS balance scale.  Man I hate this thing.  Right when it's balance it goes hay wire....freakin nuts.  I'm beginning to think the charge weights are varying from round to round.  But I'm answering this with an RCBS chargemaster.  That little hooker will be here tommorrow.  Then it's back to the drawing board.

Sounds like you have your scale near a wind current.
'Borg

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking that too.  But I have taken measures to prevent this.  Good call, but I removed that variable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top