Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 11:07:36 PM EDT
I was wondering..... I have a buddy that reloads and he has almost no LC brass for any of his long guns. His thought is that LC brass isn't worth it if you are working up an accurate load.

Me, at the moment I can't afford to buy win or rem brass and this was all I could afford. Can you make accurate loads with LC brass??
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
How accurate?  Yes reloads using LC brass can be loaded to moa or better.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used LC brass for over 20 years, for everything,.. accurate loads, hunting loads, and FMJ loads. As a matter of fact if the LC brass was SO bad...the Gov. wouldn't use it in their 77 gr/5.56 match loads or their 175 gr/7.62x51 loads.  Do your self a favor and order up, Dec. '08's issue of "Handloader" magazine. It has a test in it with .308 components, and the difference they make, bullets, brass (both once fired and virgin), primers...etc.  VERY enlightening read.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I think Lapua brass is the most consistent followed by Hornady.  (in weight  - according to a chart I saw somewhere)

But LC brass can make accurate ammo.  I just don't like it because of all the extra case prep needed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've used LC brass for over 20 years, for everything,.. accurate loads, hunting loads, and FMJ loads. As a matter of fact if the LC brass was SO bad...the Gov. wouldn't use it in their 77 gr/5.56 match loads or their 175 gr/7.62x51 loads.  Do your self a favor and order up, Dec. '08's issue of "Handloader" magazine. It has a test in it with .308 components, and the difference they make, bullets, brass (both once fired and virgin), primers...etc.  VERY inlightening read.

+1

The definitive work for loading .308 for accuracy.   Some surprises, like number of reloads before case head separation for various brands of brass.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do your self a favor and order up, Dec. '08's issue of "Handloader" magazine. It has a test in it with .308 components, and the difference they make, bullets, brass (both once fired and virgin), primers...etc.  VERY enlightening read.

Crap I thought I found the article online.

I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
No worries. I ordered the mag and the special issue, they should arrive in time for me to load some 308s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top