Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:40:50 AM EDT
I seem to go a year or so with a tumbler, then the motor seems to stall.  I can get by for a few weeks "whacking" the base to get the motor to spin, but after a while nothing helps.  I suspect worn bearings in the motor.

So, what is the best, or longest lasting tumbler you have used?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I use an RCBS vibratory. My Dad in law has used his RCBS for 20+ years......
My friend has a Lyman
We've only been aggressively reloading for 2 years so I cant offer more "long term" advice.
But 2 + years of hard service and no problems with either
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Lyman tumblers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
well ... I had a Lyman, it died.  I had an RCBS it died, sent back to RCBS, they replaced it, now a year later it dies again.

Who has a tumbler that still works after 3 years???

Anyone had experience with Thumlers?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Graf' & Sons Tumbler it's like $60.

I've never had any problems with it, but I haven't had it 3 years yet.   I often run mine 24 hours a day for several days when I get a load of 3-5k of brass.

It's fairly quiet, but I don't have anything to compare it to either.

It's ~4qt size.    If you are looking for something bigger, I would probably try the Dillon CV-2001 it's 12.5qt.

As for the motors going bad, have you tried using a surge protector?  It's possible you are in an area where the power company has power spikes which will fry motors/electronics.    You could also try just replacing the motor.  Look online for electric motors.   The motors are probably all China made, try to find a better made motor.

HTH

-Masta
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have this one from Cabelas.  I think all these are made by the same company.

Best of all as of this AM, the kit is still in stock.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As for the motors going bad, have you tried using a surge protector?  It's possible you are in an area where the power company has power spikes which will fry motors/electronics.    You could also try just replacing the motor.  Look online for electric motors.   The motors are probably all China made, try to find a better made motor.

HTH

-Masta

My whole house is on a surge protector, and my bench power is attached to yet another one, so I think it's just cheap motors...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#7]
You're likely overloading it with too much media/brass.  Try cutting back a bit on the total weight you're trying to vibrate and the motor should last longer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had good experience with the Lyman tumblers, but, after much use and abuse, my second one died recently.  (it lasted maybe five years)

I ordered, and recently received a Thumlers UV-18, after considering Lyman, Dillon, and Thumlers.  This model:

I'm shocked how much better built, and how much quieter it is.  Metal construction vs plastic, etc.  It is also VERY much quieter than the Lyman(s) were.  It also cost about $180 vs about $80.

Yet I liked it so much, I ordered a second one.

I eliminated from consideration the Frankford Arsenal (Midway) and RCBS tumblers, having seen several examples of early failures from folks I know shooting highpower.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a lyman tumbler that I've had since '95.  It has been my seconday for some time, since I got a giant Dillon, but it is still working.  If you don't have one of the rotary separators, try and find a combo.  They are great.
How about this one?http://www.grafs.com/product/225400
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had good experience with the Lyman tumblers, but, after much use and abuse, my second one died recently.  (it lasted maybe five years)

I ordered, and recently received a Thumlers UV-18, after considering Lyman, Dillon, and Thumlers.  This model:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/TT180.jpg

I'm shocked how much better built, and how much quieter it is.  Metal construction vs plastic, etc.  It is also VERY much quieter than the Lyman(s) were.  It also cost about $180 vs about $80.

I eliminated from consideration the Frankford Arsenal (Midway) and RCBS tumblers, having seen several examples of early failures from folks I know shooting highpower.

I'm leaning towards the Thumler, it has great reviews on Cabelas website

I'm also thinking the Dillon CV-2001.  Both are around $180
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#11]
My Lyman turbo 1200 is over twenty years old (purchased in mid 80's) and still going strong. It has been heavily used and abused since day one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/TT180.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Thumler, it has great reviews on Cabelas website

I'm also thinking the Dillon CV-2001.  Both are around $180

Looks like the Thumler is about 6qt's (1/2 the size of the Dillon).   It does say it has ball bearings in the motor which should make it last a LONG time.  I don't know what the Dillon has?

I'm sure most tumblers have bushings, anything with bearings (even cheap bearings) is better than bushings.  Companies save a few cents on the dollar using bushings instead of bearings and the motor's last less than 1/2 as long.  Go figure.

-Masta

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Thumler also has "industrial" versions, which appear to be heavier, at least that's all the difference I see on their website.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use an RCBS vibratory. My Dad in law has used his RCBS for 20+ years......
My friend has a Lyman
We've only been aggressively reloading for 2 years so I cant offer more "long term" advice.
But 2 + years of hard service and no problems with either

My RCBS of 20 years is still going strong also. I'm not sure if they are as well made as they were 20 years ago though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Doubt it.  I bet most of it is now Made in China, at least I know the motor is.  And it's sealed so there's no fixing it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I am using a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Turbo tumbler,,, hold allot of cases and has given me no problems. I add a bit of Nufinish car polish to the media and let it run for about 10 minutes then throw the cases in for 3-4 hours. They come out brighter than factory finishes.

I plan to add 1 to 2 more Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Turbo Tumblers in the near future as I tumble allot of brass each day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#17]
My cheep Midway tumbler is still going strong (bought in 1991).

Since you seem to have bad luck with tumblers, I'd say get a Dillon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#18]
My UV-18 is going on 15+ years, only thing that broke is the power cord plug cause I kept unplugging it by yanking on the cord, I fixed it for $2 with a new plug from Home Depot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top