Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 3:14:53 PM EDT
My LnL occasionally slices the case retainer spring in half.

Its done it twice and both times I didn't see what caused the damage.

Has anybody had this problem before?  Is there a solution?  I have the spring twisted

back together and it seems to be working, while I order another replacement.  But I don't

want to keep buying springs.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've gotten mine kinked a couple times, but not "sliced."  Are you making sure your shellplates are down as low as they can go, and that the bolt that holds them down is snug?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your shell plates for burrs where the spring rides. However the more likely place is going to be the subplate that the shellplate attaches to. Deburr with some sandpaper the area where the spring drops down going into the last station and where the spring comes back up before the first station. Don't go crazy but sand a slight radius into all the edges in this area where the spring rides. The spring catches on these sharp edges/burrs and eventually cuts the spring. Usually where the spring is joined into a loop. Also be sure if you are removing cases that you get the case fully seated in the shell plate or it can mash the spring sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anybody had this problem before?  Is there a solution?  I have the spring twisted
back together and it seems to be working, while I order another replacement.  But I don't

That's essentially how it works. You just reverse twist it about 10 revolutions and then screw it into the other side. One end is slightly smaller diameter for these last 7-10 spirals so they fit inside the other end ok. Mine have popped apart a few times and the first time I thought it just broke. I had to examine it a bit to figure out that it really just came unwound.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn I have had my press for 3-4 yrs. now and a Pro-Jector for about 10 yrs and never noticed that. But then I have only gone through maybe 3 springs in all that time. Nice tidbit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's essentially how it works. You just reverse twist it about 10 revolutions and then screw it into the other side. One end is slightly smaller diameter for these last 7-10 spirals so they fit inside the other end ok. Mine have popped apart a few times and the first time I thought it just broke. I had to examine it a bit to figure out that it really just came unwound.

+1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I went ahead and smoothed the edges to see if that will improve the function.

I won't know for awhile but it can't hurt.  The spring is not breaking where the splice is.

I discovered the splice when I was trying to twist the spring back together.  This looks

like it has been cut cleanly.  It seems to happen on the top of the stroke, not sure if a die is catching it somehow or

what is happening.

Thanks for the help, hopefully this will make the springs last longer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#7]
When you put the spring on make sure you cycle the press and seat the spring in the groove of the subplate before using it. If it isn't seated first the case rim could damage it before it seats itself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Email or call Hornady and they will send you 3 new ones.  Like the others have said, twist it back together.  I do believe it happens at station 1, when the spring gets caught between the casing and the subplate.  Since I've had my new EZject subplate, I haven't had this problem yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top