Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2009 6:54:09 AM EDT
I will eventually build a dedicated reloading bench, so i was wondering.

The majority of the benches i have seen appear to have the re-loader standing.

Is this a choice that can be made on a preferential basis, or is it a matter of ergonomics, leverage...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I just prefer to stand.  Seems like I can look down on things better.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got one of those roll around tall spring-loaded chairs, very comfortable, I tend to use both standing and sitting.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been reloading for a little over 18 years. I sit, why stand?
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I built mine so I can sit or stand.

I found standing particularly useful when I got my first .223 case stuck.

Quoted:

^^^^^ This +1  
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I sit when I reload.

What I have observed from many post on the subject,

Most of us old timers like to sit, the young guys like to stand.

Remember you are only as old as your legs/knees/back.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I sit!.  A nice tall stool lets me look down and watch the machine work.  Of course I use a Dillon 650
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I sit.  I sit on the stool my grandfather made and was sitting on when he taught me to reload over 30 years ago.  

Damn, I miss my grandfather.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sit.  I sit on the stool my grandfather made and was sitting on when he taught me to reload over 30 years ago.  

Nice to have good memories, though.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
sit for the most part,when i trim i stand most of the time as it is faster,but the rest is sitting,
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer to sit.
My area has a concrete floor and it wears on you after a while.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

American as apple pie.

I think it does have a lot to do with the loaders age.  I stand at a tall bench but can also sit using a high bar stool.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Both

I stand when working up a new load.

I use a drafting chair when I decide to reload for a long session
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah it sure is!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same here. Been reloading for 24 yrs. and have been sitting the whole time. If you have a stoppage you should inspect everything anyway. There is little reason to see every aspect of the process as long as you follow a set procedure and do not deviate except where a stoppage demands it. Keep the tv's, dvd player and other distractions out of your reloading area and pay attention to your procedure.  Comfort tends to help concentration imo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I sit. It puts my eyes down closer to the shellplate so I can better see whats going on. In the case of my MEC shotshell reloader sitting allows me to pull down on the handle, which I find comfortable. Your mileage may vary.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I sit on my ass

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#17]
If you really don't know what you would like, I think you should just make the set up tall enough to stand at and get a tall chair/stool to sit on when you feel like it.  

Best of both worlds!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I sit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I sit. If you are going to stand and have a hard concrete floor get one of those rubber mats to help save your back.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
My knees say I should sit. I listen to them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I stand when manually dropping/weighing powder charges on the Chargemaster. However, I sit when de-priming, seating bullets, and when I am  loading on the auto press (Hornady LnL AP).
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Always sat from the get go.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I stand.  My lower back is messed up and it is more comfortable for me to stand.  I found that a nice cushion mat to stand on at the bench helps too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

SAME HERE!

Sitting is ASS LAZY.

Shit!  Why not LAY DOWN while you do it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I sit while priming and throwing powder, than stand while sizing, trimming and pressing.
My back can only take short periods standing still on concrete.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I set up my bench high enough to stand, and then I have a stool the appropriate height, so I can do either.  

I have found that my back gets more tired on the stool than when standing.  I think I really need to get a stool with a backrest to take care of this.  So for the time I mostly stand when loading.

eta: the stool that wshbrngr shows in his picture looks like it would work well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAME HERE!

Sitting is ASS LAZY.

Shit!  Why not LAY DOWN while you do it?

That's the second time I've seen you spew that lazy line. You don't have any idea what sort of physical condition you'll be in in twenty or thirty years. It doesn't always matter how well you try to take care of yourself either.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I made my reloading bench at comfortable work hieght while standing.  It works good also for cleaning my guns for which I like to stand while clenaing.  Then I bought a tall stool with a back rest so I can sit when or stand while reloading.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's the second time I've seen you spew that lazy line.

Really?  What was the first?  I don't remember.

You don't have any idea what sort of physical condition you'll be in in twenty or thirty years. It doesn't always matter how well you try to take care of yourself either.

Maybe.  But I don't do long reloading sessions anymore.  I pretty much load in 100 round bursts at a maximum.  So I just stand there, and then go take a break while a load of brass is tumbling or some such.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I always sit, for some reason I don't feel comfortable standing and reloading.  Maybe its because Im 6'7''.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Im lazy, I sit.  I reload on a single stage either 9mm of 308, with 9mm I will sit and pucnh/resize a bag full at a time, 300 to 500 pieces. then I will bell them on a second day, then sit and prime with a hand primer watching tv.  then go in and throw and seat roughly 100 or so at a time. then crimp that bunch.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the second time I've seen you spew that lazy line.

Really?  What was the first?  I don't remember.

You don't have any idea what sort of physical condition you'll be in in twenty or thirty years. It doesn't always matter how well you try to take care of yourself either.

Maybe.  But I don't do long reloading sessions anymore.  I pretty much load in 100 round bursts at a maximum.  So I just stand there, and then go take a break while a load of brass is tumbling or some such.

First time was in the pecan picker brass retreival thread and "long" is a relative term. I'm not mad or anything. Hell, once upon I time I was indestructable myself. But times change. Not everyone that doesn't do things your way makes their choices because they are lazy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]
You're right.  Fair enough, you lazy bastard!  Just kidding.

Yeah I can't fault someone for sitting if their back is bad and such.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I can tell you that i have an uncle (63 years old) who has turned me into a reloader recently that had a total shoulder replacement about a year an a half ago.  He thinks a lot of it had to do with reloading for 30+ years sitting and reaching up to pull press levers (especially his shotshell progressive loaders).

TJ
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I sit while priming and throwing powder, than stand while sizing, trimming and pressing.
My back can only take short periods standing still on concrete.

I use squishy pads that I stand on (look like black diamond plate and came from Home Depot).  They feel great standing on.

TJ
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I sit on my ass

What else would you sit on?

I learned at age 17 working fast food that anything that made me stand in one place for hours
on end was not to be a part of my life.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm 50/50.  I just need to get a better stool.  The current one I have damn gives me a back ache if I sit longer than 1 hour.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I set up my bench high enough to stand, and then I have a stool the appropriate height, so I can do either.  

I have found that my back gets more tired on the stool than when standing.  I think I really need to get a stool with a backrest to take care of this.  So for the time I mostly stand when loading.

+1
I have a stool I can sit in, but it ends up hurting my back quicker than my feet start hurting if I stand.     So I tend to stand, and the stool ends up being a table-surface to hold more junk.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You're right.  Fair enough, you lazy bastard!  Just kidding.

Yeah I can't fault someone for sitting if their back is bad and such.

yep...bad backs...these things happen.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I never noticed until today (06-12-09).   But, Dillon recommends that you stand while using their press.

It's true............READ THEIR STUFF.

1. Dillon recommends standing up in front of the machine while operating it
2. Be sure to have the machine mounted on a solid surface. If the bench moves or flexes this may result in priming problems. Again, be sure to be standing up to operate the machine

Taken from:

http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550enghelp/rl550b/rl550_pg1.htm

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I stand cause i don't have a stool and its a little easier to move up and down my bench.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I made mine so I could do either, however, I mostly stand.  At 61 I'm not ready to get lazy like those 'old' guys.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I sit,

I'm 6'4" and my bench is 33" tall  ( store bought when I was younger).  I do occasionally stand when Sizing 50 bmg ( once fired from M2HB) once it's fired in my bolt gun I can size it sitting. I also stand when forming cases to a different caliber/ cartridge shape.

I built a raised mount for my LNL AP so I can run it either way but so far all I've done is sit.

For those that sit and load, I'd suggest a chair or stool with a Back support. I tried just a simple bar stool and it killed my back if I used it for more than an hour or so.  Since I got my chair with a back on it My back pain went away.

Jason
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a machinist so I have to stand all day at work, I'll be damned if I am going to come home and stand at my press( and my bench is built with that in mind). As a matter of fact I may design a horizontal press so I can lay down and load with my feet up as someone suggested.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:17:51 AM EDT
[#45]
After standing on my feet for 10=12 hours a day installing winglets on Falcon 2000's my feet really ENJOY that I sit when I work on the bench.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I always reloaded on a bench top that was 42" high. It seemed very comfortable to me to do so. Then I reinjured a knee, things kept getting worse, and it hurt to stand reloading for any  period ot time.
The new bench I built is low enough for me to sit. So I do to prevent more knee ache.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#47]
If you want a chair don't go cheap, pick a decent drafting chair with back support and adjustable arms. This is what I use.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Interesting!

Doesn’t seem to be one right answer to this (though making the bench high enough to reload standing and then getting a stool to let you sit seems to be the safe bet since it covers both bases).

I prefer standing.  It just seems more comfortable and gives me a bit better leverage.  I’ve never thought about it before, but I suspect my back problems play a part in this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am a machinist so I have to stand all day at work, I'll be damned if I am going to come home and stand at my press( and my bench is built with that in mind). As a matter of fact I may design a horizontal press so I can lay down and load with my feet up as someone suggested.

This. There just jealous because we can build a horizontal press. J/K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top