Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2009 10:33:00 AM EDT
I was wondering whether the Hornday LEVERolution 50 caliber bullets can be used to reload the .50 Action Express cartridge (I own a Desert Eagle)?

They are .500 diameter but are these too long to work? I assume this bullet needs a crimp as well, I have a Hornady new dimension custom-grade 50 action express dies. Do I need a crimping die as well to load these bullets or will the bullet seater die do that?
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
My ejakated guess would be yes. You have to look at length. Make sure the OAL will work. Also make sure the amount of bullet in the brass is the same. If there is less powder space in the round, there will be more pressure. As always, use common sense and start low, work your way up looking for pressure signs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]
So I adjusted the seating die and I had to lowered the seater adjustment screw all the way down to get the COL and something tells me this ammunition might not work. I bought these at midwayusa because they were listed as .50 caliber handgun bullets and I did not have the manual at the time to know they were not listed under the .50 action express. Are these for the .500 S&W?

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
You can ask Hornady about it, but I think you already know what the answer will be…

The #50102 bullet you bought is not anywhere close to the #50101 in the reloading manual. They are just too long so you end up seating them too deep.

Wonder what the pressure would peak at if you set one off???

Midway should take them back of course you’ll be out the shipping.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  For the .500 S&W.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can ask Hornady about it, but I think you already know what the answer will be…

The #50102 bullet you bought is not anywhere close to the #50101 in the reloading manual. They are just too long so you end up seating them too deep.

Wonder what the pressure would peak at if you set one off???

Midway should take them back of course you’ll be out the shipping.

Yeah, I'll just use a kinetic bullet puller to pull this one to get a box of even 50 and send it and the 3 other boxes back to Midway, it's their fault if anybody's or mine for not paying attention, but I didn't have the manual when I ordered these bullets. I don't see this bullet under the .500 S&W either in the manual but these could be brand new.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Yeah, I'll just use a kinetic bullet puller to pull this one to get a box of even 50 and send it and the 3 other boxes back to Midway, it's their fault if anybody's or mine for not paying attention, but I didn't have the manual when I ordered these bullets. I don't see this bullet under the .500 S&W either in the manual but these could be brand new.[/quote]

Nothing personal...but,..Are you kidding?... You should have asked them if it would work in your firearm, it is not their responsibility to ask you what you are going to use them in.  (about a million comparisions come to mind..."you gave me a cheese burger , I took a bite,now I figured out that won't work...) And you opened the box used one and think they should take that box back, too ?!....That isn't right...

Put on the EE and someone will buy them,  consider it a lesson learned...

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nothing personal...but,..Are you kidding?... You should have asked them if it would work in your firearm, it is not their responsibility to ask you what you are going to use them in.  (about a million comparisions come to mind..."you gave me a cheese burger , I took a bite,now I figured out that won't work...) And you opened the box used one and think they should take that box back, too ?!....That isn't right...

Not really…

The bullets are not even listed in Hornady 7th Edition!

They are listed on Hornday’s site as “Pistol Bullets” - Here

But I don’t think blame assignment  will be necessary and shipping is still a pretty cheap Life Lesson!

Try swollowing a 10% restocking fee on a $1,200 part sometime…

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really…

The bullets are not even listed in Hornady 7th Edition!

They are listed on Hornday’s site as “Pistol Bullets” - Here

But I don’t think blame assignment  will be necessary and shipping is still a pretty cheap Life Lesson!

Try swollowing a 10% restocking fee on a $1,200 part sometime…

If you reread the OP's first post He is talking about Hornadys LEVEREVOLUTION .50 cal bullets..............I did not check for the .50 GMX though.......

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you reread the OP's first post He is talking about Hornadys LEVEREVOLUTION .50 cal bullets..............I did not check for the .50 GMX though.......

The OP was wrong in calling them that.

LEVEREVOLUTION: No such “bullet” exists at Hornady’s site…

There is a line of loaded ammunition that is called that but within that line there is no .50 ammo offered.

That limits the search to Bullets – Rifle – Pistol.

None of the Rifle bullets in .50 apply.

That leaves Pistol and there it is!

Then there is no farther description of the bullet. It was a poor choice not to call Hornady and ask.

But I would not take my reloading advice from a clerk at Midway! Or if I did, I would not be upset and blame them if it did not work out…

If you can find a LEVEREVOLUTION bullet for reloading on Hornady's site, please post a link.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
.50 cal Flextip bullets are intended for the .500 S&W.
Sell your desert eagle and buy a .500S&W revolver to shoot them out of.

...movie props
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP was wrong in calling them that.

LEVEREVOLUTION: No such “bullet” exists at Hornady’s site…

There is a line of loaded ammunition that is called that but within that line there is no .50 ammo offered.

That limits the search to Bullets – Rifle – Pistol.

None of the Rifle bullets in .50 apply.

That leaves Pistol and there it is!

Then there is no farther description of the bullet. It was a poor choice not to call Hornady and ask.

But I would not take my reloading advice from a clerk at Midway! Or if I did, I would not be upset and blame them if it did not work out…

If you can find a LEVEREVOLUTION bullet for reloading on Hornady's site, please post a link.

LINK; all the bullets used in the OP's said LEVEREVOLUTION line, please note the .50 cal says....50 cal. FTX (500 S&W).....http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=789...and....http://www.hornady.com/images/sell_sheets/09-ftx_component_bullets%20.pdf

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LINK; all the bullets used in the OP's said LEVEREVOLUTION line, please note the .50 cal says....50 cal. FTX (500 S&W).....http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=789...and....http://www.hornady.com/images/sell_sheets/09-ftx_component_bullets%20.pdf

That is what I was looking for but you did not mention the "path" to find it???

The "path" I took was Bullets - Pistol - .500, which I consider a most logical place to look.

What sort of logic was needed to find those pages?

(they support what you say, just curious how one woudl expect to find them)
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.50 cal Flextip bullets are intended for the .500 S&W.
Sell your desert eagle and buy a .500S&W revolver to shoot them out of.

...movie props

Smartest thing I heard so far. Problem is when I disassembled it and put it back together, the slide got stuck where it could not be pulled back. After using a rubber mallet to loosen it, I was able to get it apart and take the barrel back out. Once I put it back together, same thing. Putting a lot of gun oil around the chamber made it so I could pull it back with some force but the underlying problem still persists. If I sold it to someone, they would be like, GD it , the slide won't go back on this gun. Not too subtle of a flaw; might have to take this one to a gun smith. Tisk, tisk, such a good caliber yet such a s***ty gun. Also, it would not fire a follow up shot without messing with the safety when I originally got it.

Also, why doesn't my $60+ Hornady die set have a carbide insert? Is it because the caliber is tapered so it needs lubrication anyways to resize? I see at widener's that they have a .50AE TC die set for $29, looking at Midway USA, the only carbide set is 1 1/4X12" and costs over $400 . Graf's doesn't have carbide dies for it either from what I can find, their steel .50AE die set says ""With a steel sizer, no case lube is needed.  Is this like a bottle neck cartridge that needs to be lubricated even if you have a carbide resizer die? It says under those ridiculously expensive dies that no resizing lube is needed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Worst case scenario you could try to seat the bullets so they will chamber, but obviously too long for the magazine. Then you just load each shot into the chamber like a single-shot action.

You will want to lube all cases going into all dies, its just the right way to go about it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I was looking for but you did not mention the "path" to find it???

The "path" I took was Bullets - Pistol - .500, which I consider a most logical place to look.

What sort of logic was needed to find those pages?

(they support what you say, just curious how one woudl expect to find them)

From their Homepage, a little down on the right...

http://www.hornady.com/

under "New Products ,LeverRevolution "
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I fixed my Desert Eagle, the slide is not jammed anymore and it might even fire semi-auto now. I was just considering purchasing one of the S&W .500 revolvers. Anyways, WTH do they not make carbide dies for the .50AE? They make them for the S&W .500 mag. The RCBS dies I mentioned above are not carbide after all, the only caride ones were the ones on Midway USA for $440 with the 1-1/4X12" threads .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top