Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2009 4:49:12 AM EDT
I have a hypothetical question. supposing a carbon fiber bullet was feasible what kind of properties and performance might be expected from it? I know the bullet would be fairly light for its size, what ever size was chosen. I was wondering if it would be a high speed penatrator or more of a frangible becasue of the velocity? has anyone tried this or heard of it? how feasible do you guys think it is?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it would tear itself apart on the rifling of the barrel.
Would be too light,and not worth the effort,YET.
Maybe in a few years?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I would guess it'd be ballistically similar to those plastic training rounds you find every now and then.

Anything coming out of a barrel 1000+ FPS has to be lethal
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would guess it'd be ballistically similar to those plastic training rounds you find every now and then.

Anything coming out of a barrel 1000+ FPS has to be lethal

I seem to remember that the Germans and British experimented and used wood bullets at one time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember nylon being used.

A major brand, I don't recall which, used to sell a very soft swaged lead bullet encased in a nylon jacket/sabot.  It was the 38spl defense round of choice for a long time.  Nyclad?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A major brand, I don't recall which, used to sell a very soft swaged lead bullet encased in a nylon jacket/sabot.  It was the 38spl defense round of choice for a long time.  Nyclad?

Nyclads.

I used to do a yearly email to Federal asking them to return them to production but they said they no longer have the equipment.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I seem to remember that the Germans and British experimented and used wood bullets at one time.

M&M - Myth and Misunderstanding !

They were Blanks and the “wood bullet” was to hold the powder in and allow for feeding. Otherwise it shattered on firing and exited ‘harmlessly’ in little pieces.

I say ‘harmlessly’ because there iwa still an injury danger under 1 foot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
it's burnt string and glue.

True.  It's really a mystery why the Wapanese love that material so much.  Even some of the Indian guys I work with attempt to use it where they need something with strength.z

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking about ammo like this

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone remember the Thunderzap? 3000FPS from a 4" barreled revolver!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I chrono'd some rubber bullets out of my 6" .44 mag a couple days ago, primer powered. Highest velocity was 500fps, lowest was around 340fps if i recall. The average was somewhere in the 400 neighborhood. WLP primers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nyclads.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nfe6848m/Modl60_2.jpg

I used to do a yearly email to Federal asking them to return them to production but they said they no longer have the equipment.

Oh really?  One of you is mistaken badly........Federal 38 Special Nyclad

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nyclads.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nfe6848m/Modl60_2.jpg

Oh really?  One of you is mistaken badly........Federal 38 Special Nyclad

It's Back!!!!

Yea!!  

I'm going to the S&W forum and spread the word.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]
It's Back!!!!

Yea!!  

OLD NEWS!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's Back!!!!

Yea!!  

OLD NEWS!

As I just found out at the S&W forum, they already knew about it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Really bad idea.

Exposed carbon fibers would be very abrasive to the bore, and whatever resin/plastic that's used would potentially create a mess of fouling if used at high velocity.

If you want a hypervelocity plastic bullet something cheaper and less damaging to the firearm would be a better option.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Aluminum is light weight, but the trade off is that it doesn't have the same density as lead so to make a bullet even in a fairly light weight would require larger mass to accomplish..your best bet for now is to just go with the lightest bullet you can stabilize and load it hot. I really want to see hyper-vel fin stabilized projectiles come on the scene and renew interest in smoothbore or tapered barrels...rifling is an old implement and I think modern technology and science can break our current barriers in performance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Aluminum is light weight, but the trade off is that it doesn't have the same density as lead so to make a bullet even in a fairly light weight would require larger mass to accomplish..your best bet for now is to just go with the lightest bullet you can stabilize and load it hot. I really want to see hyper-vel fin stabilized projectiles come on the scene and renew interest in smoothbore or tapered barrels...rifling is an old implement and I think modern technology and science can break our current barriers in performance.

This.

Silver Bullet (M829) FTW!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top