Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 7:55:19 AM EDT
Just setting up my new press.I was checking out the operation and noticed the shells werent lining up,centered in the first station.Tried adjusting the camming pin but no luck.Little help?I did try a die ,but the shells just jam aganst it,or the decapping pin.The shell plate is lined up.  Lost
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Hard to figure out what's going on but I'm gueesing the cases aren't being pushed all the way in on the shell plate? If that's the case (no pun intended) you need to adjust the "case inserter", the thing that pushes the case  into the shell plate.

Per http://www.dillonhelp.com/xl650enghelp/xl650/xl650_pg1.htm

Cases are not being

pushed all the way into the shellplate by the case insert slide

1. Not

pushing forward far enough on operating handle

2. Camming pin (part #13371) needs to be adjusted

a. consult the XL 650 instruction manual for adjustment procedure

3. If you are

still having difficulty, please E-mail Dillon's

Technical Support staff
or call1-800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah,Did that,also emailed Dillon.Just thought somebody here might have had a similar problem.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar problem   My shell casing was tipping  on the up stroke and hitting the bottom of the die
Cure was to tighten down the shell plate a little more..
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well,I cut a few more threads in the cam pin,to allow a little more adjustment.I also had to reverse the cam,from rifle to pistol,and it works!I need to see what Dillon says about that.Tried a few cases and their not jamming.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  Are you reloading .223?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Will be,when I get all the components.Why?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The caliber is important because a .223 is relatively tall and skinny compared say to a .260.  Watch the case insert slide as you cycle your press.  Is the case sticking half way into the shellplate or is the case tipping after its in the shellplate?   If the case isn't going all the way in it's one set of issues but if the case is tipping once in the shellplate it's another set.

We just need more specific information as to what is happening to try to diagnose the problem.  Have you looked at your owners manual and adjusted the shellplate per figure 172 on page 38 as well as the case insert slide per figures 183 thru 186 on page 39 and 188 thru 193 on page 40?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is a good example of the learning curve you'll face when getting a 650.  When I got mine I spent 3 days off and on learning how it works and making it work.   That was without doing a caliber change.

I did stupid things like overfill the case feeder hopper, had the case insert block backwards, etc

When I did my first caliber change I took about 90 minutes.  Then with some hands on I learned even more secrets like how to synch up the primer feed system with the case feed system.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
OK,I'll try again.Problem was the slide was not pushing the shell all the way on to the shellplate.I tried to adjust the camming rod but ran out of adjustment.The shellplate was level to the locator plate. If I put the shell on the shellplate it was not tilted.The shell was just not being pushed on all the way.Adding threads to the rod took care of that problem but the cam was hitting the casefeed arm and jamming, reversing the cam from rifle to pistol took care of that.It seems to work "fine"but I have not yet tried to go any further.I did put a decapping/sizing die in and ran a few shells,seems OK.I did email Dillon and am waiting on a response.No I did not tell them what I did,had'nt done it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

OK,I'll try again.Problem was the slide was not pushing the shell all the way on to the shellplate.I tried to adjust the camming rod but ran out of adjustment.The shellplate was level to the locator plate. If I put the shell on the shellplate it was not tilted.The shell was just not being pushed on all the way.Adding threads to the rod took care of that problem but the cam was hitting the casefeed arm and jamming, reversing the cam from rifle to pistol took care of that.It seems to work "fine"but I have not yet tried to go any further.I did put a decapping/sizing die in and ran a few shells,seems OK.I did email Dillon and am waiting on a response.No I did not tell them what I did,had'nt done it.

You can also try posting to Dillon's forum at http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/the_forum.html I posed there in the past and got fast responses from the factory rep.  The dude with the dog avatar  
is dillonhelp who also posts here from time to time.  He's been very helpful

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top