Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2009 11:25:44 PM EDT
Is it hard enough to perform well as a recast centerfire pistol bullet?  I was thinking about doing my plinking practice into a bullet trap and reclaiming the lead.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
They're swage formed(basically pure lead), so unless you're planning on using really light loads, you'll need to add some tin and antimony to the pot when melting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You can also cut it with wheel weights.

Some prefer a 50/50 (50%lead-50%WW) mix for lower pressure rounds like 45 ACP
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
good info.  I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some wheel weights.  Especially now while metal prices are somewhat down again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I *recall* from 20 years ago at a tour of a .22rf plant they used 2-3% antimony with 97-98% lead.  No tin added, explicitly.   Tin costs money, antimony not so much.

I salvaged several hundred pounds of lead from an indoor range.  Hardness was OK, but had to add tin to fill out the bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top