Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2009 3:54:04 PM EDT
I purchased a box of Hornady 150 gr. SST bullets a number of years ago with the intention of working up a good whitetail load for my 30-06 Bar.  Like a lot of other people in my state I am currently not working, so I spent some time building a few loads and headed out to the range.  With H4350 the sweet spot came at 58.0 grs. which produced .75" moa groups at 2,853 fps.

The bullet shoots great, and they look like they should knock a whitetail's dick in the dirt, but I would like to hear pro's and con's from those who have used them.  Previously I have only used winchester factory silvertips from this rifle, but they are not nearly as accurate as my new load.

TIA.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good bullet, the core is locked into the jacket and it will hold together just fine. (I use the 165s though)
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I too, use the 165SST in a .300RUM.   I get 1/4 MOA from a stock Rem 700, with a pet load.  I also use the 225SST in my .338RUM with the same results.  I tried them because the lead tips were deforming in the magazine under recoil, and the plastic doesn't.   I can't give any results with either on deer sized game, as with this accuracy, I prefer neck shots.  I do have a friend that uses the 150SST in a .30T/C, which travels at 3000fps MV, factory load, and he has killed a bunch of deer with it.  They showed good performance on his hits.  I am going to try them in my .308win, as I am sold on their results with what I have seen so far.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Hornady's SST bullet is great. I shoot 95 gr SST's in 243 win.(light Mag). They are very accurate . I've taken two Mule Deer, both neck shots.

Both shots resulted in crumpled deer. They were dead instantly. Its hard to believe an animal can die instantly.

This last season I shot a Mule Deer at 30 feet (yes 10 paces) I was going for a neck shot...but shot him in the mouth,

missed teeth and tongue. The bullet entered the spinal column and never exited. No visible wounds (entry or exit) on the deer.

The deer was trotting, had just jumped a barbed wire fence and collapsed when hit. It did not stagger, it collapsed.

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome.

I like what I hear so far.  The 165 grainers have a bc of .475, which is probably hard to beat for any hunting bullet in that weight.

I have an AR-10 chambered in 243 Win, so I may have to give the 95 gr. SST a try as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, borrowing a page from Remington's advertisement for the Power Level Ammunition in the .300RUM, one of the loads for the 165SST is close to your 30-06 velocity.  According to the reloading manual, I am only 100fps above the velocity for the 06.   My Hornady manual shows just over 3000fps for my load, and the max for that bullet in 30-06 is 3000.  I think you will be pleased with them.  I intend to try the SST bullets in my .243 and the 150gr in my .308win.  Right now, in my .308win, I am using Hornady's #3033 150gr BTSP, with exc. results on deer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I like horandy bullets but will no longer use the SST's for hunting.  I used 140 gr. bullets in my .270.  Two years ago I shot two deer one whitetail buck and a mule deer buck.  I shot the whitetail just behind the front shoulder, the bullet ricochet off of a rib and angled up severing the spine.  As I was cleaning the deer I noticed a odd greyish color all over the vitals, I found the jacket peeled back with not a speck of lead in it.  The mule deer was hit 3 times in the neck the from about 150 yards.  The first 2 shot did not even phase the deer, after the 3rd shot he walked about 25 yard down a hill before falling.  No bullets recovered and not what I would consider large exit wounds.  I don't know if I got a bad box of bullets or what.  The are however the the most accurate bullet that
I have shot out of my .270.  

Not knocking Hornaday.  I use their bullets when shooting highpower.  Just not impressed with the terminal performace of the SSTs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot a bunch of deer with my 7mm-08 and 139gr SSTs

I load them at about 2800 fps and have killed deer (and one pronghorn) from about 40 yds to 380 yds.

Good bullets IMO.  Great bullets for the price.  

I would not hesitant to step up .016 and hunt.

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used the 95gr SST in my .243 with great results. All 5 were 1 shot kills over 150 yds away on white tails.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the SST 130s in my .270Win.

Absolutely love them. Taken a couple mule deer with them and none of them made it more then a step or two at most before going down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I used 150gr SST in my Winchester Model 88 last year.  Very accurate, and this was factory ammo.  Shot a doe at 54 yds, quartering away.  beaded on her last rib and let fly.  She went about 15 yds and collapsed.  During processing, found that the last three ribs were destroyed (baseball-sized hole in rib cage), both lungs were jellied, heart was in three separate pieces and her off-side shoulder was crushed from the inside out.  Found the bullet casing and three chunks of lead––it had completely unjacketed itself.  However, at that range, velocity, and going through that much bone I can't say I was too disappointed.  After all, I had a dead deer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Only one deer with the SST so far.  I used my .280 Remington with 139 SST bullet at 3000 fps.   Shot a doe at 120 yards, perfect broadside shot through the lungs.  Ice pick size hole in, half-dollar size hole out.  Lungs were liquified and took the top of the heart off.  The deer jumped straight up at the hit and crumpled into a pile.  I think they are good bullets.   A friend uses them exclusively in his .270 since they came out.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I shot an iPod with a 180gr SST out of a .300 Win Mag. The jacket separated and the bullet flipped through the target leaving a nice exit 'wound' in the back. I think some lead splattered too upon inspecting the face plate. They are very accurate bullets but I'm not too sure how they would perform on live game.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Take a look at Hornady's InterBond bullets, too.  They shouldn't have the separation issues that some of us experience with the InterLocks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I use the Hornady SST 150 gr. in my Savage 99  in 300 Sav. it's my bullet of choice and very accurate out of a lever gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like horandy bullets but will no longer use the SST's for hunting.  I used 140 gr. bullets in my .270.  Two years ago I shot two deer one whitetail buck and a mule deer buck.  I shot the whitetail just behind the front shoulder, the bullet ricochet off of a rib and angled up severing the spine.  As I was cleaning the deer I noticed a odd greyish color all over the vitals, I found the jacket peeled back with not a speck of lead in it.  The mule deer was hit 3 times in the neck the from about 150 yards.  The first 2 shot did not even phase the deer, after the 3rd shot he walked about 25 yard down a hill before falling.  No bullets recovered and not what I would consider large exit wounds.  I don't know if I got a bad box of bullets or what.  The are however the the most accurate bullet that
I have shot out of my .270.  

Not knocking Hornaday.  I use their bullets when shooting highpower.  Just not impressed with the terminal performace of the SSTs.

I had the exact same experience with the .270 cal SST's.  I had to shoot a 9 point buck three times at less than 50 yards to get him to go down.  I thought I was missing as he showed NO signs of distress.  I also lost a doe the same day I shot her right behind the shoulder at about 75 yards.  I let her lay after seeing the performance of the bullet on the buck.  After about 30 min. I went to retrieve her and she jumped up and ran off.  I backed off and tracked her once more after another 30 min. wait.  This time she ran off never to be recovered.  Upon inspecting the buck not one of my bullets stayed intact.  They all fragmented on the hide and the inside of the deer looked like he had taken 3 point blank pistol type shotshells to his body.  I went back to my Sierra 130gr BTSP and began getting one shot stops again.  I will never use another plastic tipped bullet such as an SST or Ballistic Tip on a large game animal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you think the bullet failure was due to the plastic insert in the tip? Anyone else experience this with the nosler ballistic tips or the barnes ttsx bullets?  I'm curious to know what velocities you are shooting the 130's and 140's at and if that may be a factor in the jacket separation. I know that in my case, it was a 180gr sst with 70gr charge of H-4831, .300 win with WLR primers.  I just got a chronograph today so I'll get to clock some of these loads in the future.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow!

I like the Horn 150gr SSTs....

I shot my Nelson Bighorn at 285 yrds (lased).  3050 fps, 308,out of my 26" tube, pushed by Varget and Lapua brass...

He never turned...dropped my bullet just below his chin...hit him square in the spinal cord...dropped him in his tracks...

As much as I tried...I could not get the bonded bullets to group...

On my Elk hunt, I used the 150 gr Barns MRX...The TSX is more accurate...in my gun...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top