Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:52:46 PM EDT
Try throwing a dollop of mother's mag and wheel polish in your tumbler. Made my casings oh so sparkly. No problems with caking either, as I was initially concerned about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
This is all the better I can get them This is about 3K LC ready to load
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Dammit you beat my emoticon
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how Mother's Chrome Polish would work? That I have on hand. But yours looks great!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of the chrome polishes and "ammonia free" polishes are based on oxalic acid with some silica for modest abrasion.

I found an ancient (1960s) can of Simonizer chrome polish and a couple drops really works on badly tarnished brass. it is a lot stronger than the current stuff and needs to be used with ventilation.

edit:

was wrong, should have looked up first.MSDS says sodium hydroxide is active ingredient suspended in kerosense

What is sodium hydroxide?  Good old fashioned lye, aka active ingredient in old fashioned oven and grill cleaner

When i was akid we would made hydrogen ballons to turn into mini Hindenburgs by putting oven cleaner in a coke bottle then dropping in a ball or two of aluminum foil an dputting a balloon over the top; the aluminum was gobbled up/oxidized and hydrogen was by product. ballon would fill up then we'd tie it off, then go light it.  
It is a wonder i have all my fingers and both eyes 40 something years later.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Aero, AMEN.

Read the edit I added to my post-

I wonder if I can still find the "Red Devil" oven cleaner in the same strength as it was in 1970?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#8]
i've been using alot of differant liquid car polishes and the all seam to work magic on the brass, no ill effects also, realy shines. i crushed walnuts.jim
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Do these polish compounds contain ammonia?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In some states, chemicals I consider to be a staple for the garage or shop are not available in any retail store.  MEK is one; I ran into this problem while working on a fabric covered airplane.

Out of curiosity what do you use MEK for on a regular basis?

(Assuming MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone) It's available at my local Home Depot in Texas

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll never understand why people are dazzled by shiney objects.

It doesn't change the quality of the load one bit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

not one bit , but sure looks good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I was thinking about what i had around that might work to put in the media and i cant believe i did not think about that. How much did you put in? I will have to make a new batch of 10lb of walnut with some polish. Also how long did you run it for?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Paint doesn't make your car go faster either but not many people drive around in primed cars either   I don't worry about shiny brass but do understand why some people who aren't as lazy as me try to make it shiny
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#15]
If you lived in Tennessee, this topic would have been in a whole 'nother direction.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I was digging the other day in some of my old stock and found around 1K 357 mag I loaded up about 20 yeas ago. I used brass that was not tumbled and it is really dark now. It is smooth so it will load easy but it just looks like crap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was thinking about what i had around that might work to put in the media and i cant believe i did not think about that. How much did you put in? I will have to make a new batch of 10lb of walnut with some polish. Also how long did you run it for?

i use about 2 TBS. and it last for several tumbler loads.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know a guy who won't use anything but nickle plated cases because of the 'bling" factor. For a while, I was trading him 2-1 for my plated brass.

Seriously, clean is sufficient. Shiny isn't necessary, but it makes the brass easier to find when you shoot outdoors.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, last night i mixed up several small 1/2 cup batches of media to see what would mix in and not lump up and stick to cases, and what would clean it up the best. i tried-

meguires scratch x- worked good, mixed ok
meguires gold class wax - worked ok and mixed well
meguires mag polish - made it lumpy and would stick to cases, but it would clean it better than anything

I ended up mixing a small amount of each and running it for about an hour with some cases that were previously tumbled for 2 hour in just 24 grit walnut and still had some black on them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top