Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 12:00:47 PM EDT
I understand my Lee Anniverary kit and reloading manual were just delivered (I work in West Africa, so I haven't seen it yet).  I'm hoping to try it out on my next home leave, and I'm trying to get everything together before I return home in a couple of weeks.  I've gotten advice from an earlier post regarding leakage problems with Lee's Perfect Powder Measure, and I understand TAC is one of the powders that meters well.  I also understand it is a relative clean burner, and I have seen it available online, but there's no load data on their website.  Does anyone have beginner load data for TAC with a 68 grain Hornady HPBT?  If its a good match I was going to get my brother to order me some, particularly if it would also work well with his .308 and 30-06.  Otherwise I was going to go with H335 or Varget.

Also, take if from me.  Despite the current issues, be glad you live in the USA.  Here the idea of self defense is to carry enough cash so you won't tick off the crook that robs you!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck finding reloading components.  I haven't seen TAC or VARGET, and certainly no primers, for a while.

Relative to VARGET, TAC is filthy dirty.  It shoots fairly well, so don't sweat it.  I would guess you should start up in the 22.5 gr range, and probably above that, for that bullet but work up to it, slowly, watching for signs of excessive pressure.  I use 23.5 gr behind my 75 gr and a small rifle priomer in a commercial Winchester case, but I KNOW that are safe in my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Widener's has 8lb kegs in stock.  8# TAC
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I found load data pretty easy at their website.

Ramshot

Click where it says load guide on the right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
As I understand it, TAC is cleaner burning in the higher pressure ranges.  Varget is just clean.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Assaulter:  Thanks for your posting.  On the same site, under TAC it said:
"Our ballistics department is in the process of proofing the data to be posted on the Ramshot website. Please feel free to email ([email protected]) or call toll free at 1-800-497-1007 to receive a free Ramshot Load Guide. Thank you for your patience."  Hence my confusion.  I sent an e-mail but haven't gotten a response.

I'm clearly a novice at this, and it's compounded by the fact I only get home about 4 times a year, so I'm trying to have everything ready before I return.  I may wind up just reading and setting up equipment this trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top