Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:31:34 PM EDT
What powder check die works well with the 550?  The only one I've found that might work is the RCBS.  The Dillons says it's only made for the 650 and 1050.  Don't want to get into weighing loaded rounds.

ETA:  I'm only interested in this for rifle cartridges (namely .223) which are hard to see into to verify powder charge.  I do not crimp so I've got an unused station.  I just want to add another measure of safety to my reloading.  

Thanks,
DOC
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
With only 4 stations on the toolhead of the 550 press you will end up combining the seating and crimping into the same station if you choose to use some type of powder check die.  The Dillon powder checker can be modified to work on the 550.  There have been threads in the past showing how.  Most just mount a light of some type to allow you to see into the powder loaded case at station3 to visually check each case for powder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What powder check die works well with the 550?  The only one I've found that might work is the RCBS.  The Dillons says it's only made for the 650 and 1050.  Don't want to get into weighing loaded rounds.

Thanks,
DOC

I'd suggest that millions of rounds have been safely loaded on 550Bs without the need for their powder check die.

If you're concerned about dropped charges, just charge them individually and/or verify that each one is charged, if you go the progressive way.  Personally, I've never had a charge NOT drop using my 550b.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With only 4 stations on the toolhead of the 550 press you will end up combining the seating and crimping into the same station if you choose to use some type of powder check die.  The Dillon powder checker can be modified to work on the 550.  There have been threads in the past showing how.  Most just mount a light of some type to allow you to see into the powder loaded case at station3 to visually check each case for powder.

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
im assuming you would have to put the powder check die in station 3, which would then put the bullet seating die in 4. and that would make it very hard/weird to reach around and place the bullet
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I had my 550B for 70K+ rounds and never missed a charge in it.  When I sold it and got my 650, I also got the powder checks and use them all the time.  Truth is, now that I have one and use it every time, I'm wondering if they are really needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
im assuming you would have to put the powder check die in station 3, which would then put the bullet seating die in 4. and that would make it very hard/weird to reach around and place the bullet

Wow, good point.  That hadn't occurred to me.    That would be too cumbersome to be worthwhile.

Thanks,
DOC
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Mount a small, power white LED to the underside of the tool holder.  Then use a mirror to observe the powder level.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
DOC

I'd suggest that millions of rounds have been safely loaded on 550Bs without the need for their powder check die.

If you're concerned about dropped charges, just charge them individually and/or verify that each one is charged, if you go the progressive way.  Personally, I've never had a charge NOT drop using my 550b.

Chris

+1, use a ball powder that measures well, and you are GTG on a 550.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top