Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 4:02:14 PM EDT
ive read not to have a radio playing while you are reloading as it may screw up the scales

i dont know if i can handle that much silence for so many hours...

when i do have one playing, its usually 15 feet from my scale and on volume level 2-3 out of 10

is this something to even worry about or not ? no sub woofers just a tiny radio
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume the concern is electromagnetic interference with the, presumably, electronic scale. If the radio is that far away (15 ft) I doubt there is a problem. I would avoid putting any electrical or electronic device on the reloading bench.

You could do an experiment. Measure 10 or 12 small objects with the scale, then turn on the radio and check the same objects again. There should be no difference in the readings.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time I have found that with scales if you turn them on and let them sit for a while you get a mroe acurate reading atleast out of the few that I have played with atleast.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
i've had a radio on my reloading bench for over thirty years ( not the same radio ) no problems. just pay attention as to what you are doing. jim
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]
'60s and '70s rock is what I use to calibrate my Dillon D-terminator.  I play a great tune and the scale is right on dead nuts for the rest of the reloading session.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm old school I don't like the electronic jobbies
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never heard of that. I can't see a radio at low volume across the room affecting anything but your mood.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had static electricity from my body affect my scales to the point I've had to quit because I didn't know how to stop it.  This was in the winter.  Maybe someone more experienced than me knows what the crap was going on.  Maybe the EMF from the radio is enough if it is close by, I doubt it though, would have to be weird stuff going on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
So the radio is a no no and the huge light above you is OK ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So the radio is a no no and the huge light above you is OK ?

i dont have a huge light above me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Only thing I can think might cause problems is a LARGE magnet (like on a sub) near a magnetically dampened beam scale.
The oscillators in a radio might interfere with an electronic scale, but this would be a very rare occurance.
A set of check weights will make you sleep better.
ETA–– A tv or monitor near your scale may cause trouble too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had static electricity from my body affect my scales to the point I've had to quit because I didn't know how to stop it.  This was in the winter.  Maybe someone more experienced than me knows what the crap was going on.  Maybe the EMF from the radio is enough if it is close by, I doubt it though, would have to be weird stuff going on.

Ground your equipment to a water pipe or other good ground.

Use dryer sheets for static electricity and your powder measure.

Wipe down inside and out, may have to do this several times. It will get better every time.

Some will rubber band a dryer sheet to the outside of the powder hopper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had a radio on my reloading bench for over thirty years ( not the same radio ) no problems. just pay attention as to what you are doing. jim

That's my stereo just to the left of the reloading bench. I wouldn't load without it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]

I use a gravity/magnet dampened scale for checking drops with my 550b. Each time I check a load I always re-zero the scale.

I thought the "no radio, no TV." rule was regarding paying attention to what you are doing i.e. "pay attention to details" a la basic training/boot camp. For me I for-go the earplugs and either just put the radio on in the next room or my mp3 player on with light classical or some a cappella while reloading.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had a radio on my reloading bench for over thirty years ( not the same radio ) no problems. just pay attention as to what you are doing. jim

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/IMG_0313-1.jpg

That's my stereo just to the left of the reloading bench. I wouldn't load without it.

I hope the TV stays off.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Only talk radio is allowed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
..... any disturbance in that case will be the racket from that heathen rock and roll music.

Guilty as charged!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Only talk radio is allowed.

i seem to get get loads, when listening to tom greshams gun talk

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Never had a problem with radio or tv, I have had problems with 2.4 ghz cordless telephones and the breeze from a ceiling fan. For static just change your clothes, especially sweaters or socks, or maybe put some shoes on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, interesting, I'd never heard abou this.  

Me, I just use a Hornady balance type scale, no electronics.  I'm from the Stone Age, ya see.

I listen to Coast to Coast AM at night when I reload...............I too thought this thread might have something to do with "paying attention".................................
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/IMG_0313-1.jpg

I hope the TV stays off.

Off while reloading correct.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:33:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i've had a radio on my reloading bench for over thirty years ( not the same radio ) no problems. just pay attention as to what you are doing. jim

Exactly, just pay attention...  I keep a radio and laptop on my reloading bench, I've been listening to Metal Shop online while reloading for ages...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top