Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:42:00 PM EDT
I got a box of Federal .223 value pack from Waymart and I measured the brass after firing it and it was 1.735 in length.  Then I measured an unfired round from the same box and the COAL was 2.194.  Both of those measurements are below my personal comfort zone when I reload.  

I shot about 75 rounds out of this box with no misfires so I can’t say its bad ammo but, what is everyone’s take on those lengths and safety?  

My personal shortest brass length is 1.74, with a shortest COAL of 2.20.  

What is your comfort zone as far as minimum brass length and minimum COAL?

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm like you......as far as my specs for my reloads.

That being said.......I'm responsible for my own safety when I reload my own ammo.

Federal, is responsible for the ammo they make.  

They got beaucoup insurance.

Need I say more?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO 2.194 is OK.  I try to shoot for 2.22 in my "almost" M193 stuff.  2.260 is max. for mag. feed.  Measure the brass length after you run it through sizing and decapping.  It may grow back to 1.77 or so, and need trimming back to 1.750 +/- .005.  Keep on the look out for loose primer pockets, after prep.  Take some caliper measurements on casing diameter  at the web location before and after firing a few loaded on the way up to your normal recipe.  Any change over .001 is a bad indicator, probably indicative of low hardness and/or thin web.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
WALMART sells ammo???  GTFO!!!

All the Walmarts in my area haven't had ANYTHING but shotgun shells (birdshot) since January!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
How dangerous are loose primer pockets in a 223?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How dangerous are loose primer pockets in a 223?

As Keith_J has explained it is a bad indicator.  It can signal low brass hardness and or thin web in brass, which will allow the casing head to expand radially and open up the primer pocket.  (This portion of the brass is unsupported in the AR chamber during firing.)  Some of this brass, so afflicted, is only good for about one reloading cycle at or near your SAAMI max loads.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
loose primers can also back out enough to get a grain or two of powder under them and cause a slam fire from high primer.

Loose primers in AR=bad Ju Ju

Slam fires=poopy pants or worse

Dave
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Also nothing fun about getting a primer wedged between the bolt carrier and the inside wall of the upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top