Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2009 8:27:56 AM EDT
Well my last 1000 55gr Hornady fmjbt are loaded and will be shot up soon.  I'm looking for a new, more accurate bullet for my plinking ammo.  The hornady's are good for 2 moa plinking but I'm wanting a little more accuracy.  Most of my shooting is done from a

bipod for groups or to shoot steel at longer ranges.  What's the cheapest  .224 bullet 52-69 gr without a cannelure you've found to give pretty good accuracy?  Hollowpoint is preferred but not required as is boat tail.   I'm thinking about Midway's dogtown 55gr

soft point or their yet to be released 55gr hollowpoints (neither of which are in stock right now).  I know I'm going to have to spend more but I'd like to stay a good bit under SMK prices if possible.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thanks,
DOC

ETA:  Gun is a RRA with Larue FF tube and Wilson 16" heavy contour barrel with 1 in 9" twist.  55gr Nosler and CT balliistic tips with the right load yield sub-MOA ten shot groups all day.  At least 7 out of 10 fall under 0.5" with regularity.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the Hornady 55 gr SP's.
They've shot extremely well in all my rifles.
If you're not stuck to bal powder, try IMR 3031, or RE 15 for best accuracy.
I'm not sure, but I've heard that the Dogtown bullets are Hornady seconds or bulk.
'Borg
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try the Hornady 55 gr SP's.
They've shot extremely well in all my rifles.
If you're not stuck to bal powder, try IMR 3031, or RE 15 for best accuracy.
I'm not sure, but I've heard that the Dogtown bullets are Hornady seconds or bulk.
'Borg

I heard the dogtowns were made for Midway by nosler but I'm not sure either.  I definitely want to use a powder that meters well through a Dillon measure.  I like H335 and AA2230, I have gotten excellent accuracy from these with quality 55gr bullets.  But thanks, those look like a good candidate.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Hornady 55 SP's also.  I run them with 24.8 grs of TAC.  Get much better than 2" with that set up.  Also have 3500 of Montana Gold 55's that I haven't tried much yet, but they seem pretty good for the price, I think I paid $238 for 3500 which included shipping.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have some v-max I am going to try
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well my last 1000 55gr Hornady fmjbt are loaded and will be shot up soon.  I'm looking for a new, more accurate bullet for my plinking ammo.  The hornady's are good for 2 moa plinking but I'm wanting a little more accuracy.  Most of my shooting is done from a

bipod for groups or to shoot steel at longer ranges.  What's the cheapest  .224 bullet 52-69 gr without a cannelure you've found to give pretty good accuracy?  Hollowpoint is preferred but not required as is boat tail.   I'm thinking about Midway's dogtown 55gr

soft point or their yet to be released 55gr hollowpoints (neither of which are in stock right now).  I know I'm going to have to spend more but I'd like to stay a good bit under SMK prices if possible.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thanks,
DOC

no one can answer your question accurately without knowing your barrel specifics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Budget and accuracy in the same sentence?????

OK.........some, have been happy.  

Then some, expect too much.

Yes, barrel twist and chamber will make a difference.

Some have found that a 52 gr. SMK BTHP or 53 gr. SMK HP is "nice" for close range shooting.  The 69 gr. SMK BTHP for up to 600 yds from a magazine (or KISS for across the course). And, of course there is longer, heavier, single shot loading and different brands to look at.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&brandID=1&displayAll=1

But, they all come at a price.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have used VMax and they fly great.  But I wouldn't consider it a budget bullet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You might keep your eyes open here for specials. Not much in stock now. You might also try Nosler's website. Sometimes they have great buys, like .224 55gr Ballistic Tips recently for $13.50/100 with free shipping with $75 or more order. That sale is over, but things like that pop up from time to time so I keep an eye on their sites.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
DOC

no one can answer your question accurately without knowing your barrel specifics.

Edited original post to include barrel info but listed bullet weights are the range that I'd be willing to try.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have used VMax and they fly great.  But I wouldn't consider it a budget bullet.

+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You might keep your eyes open here for specials. Not much in stock now. You might also try Nosler's website. Sometimes they have great buys, like .224 55gr Ballistic Tips recently for $13.50/100 with free shipping with $75 or more order. That sale is over, but things like that pop up from time to time so I keep an eye on their sites.

Man, if I had caught that deal on the ballistic tips that would be problem solved right there.  I'll keep an eye out, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Budget and accuracy in the same sentence?????

OK.........some, have been happy.  

Then some, expect too much.

Yes, barrel twist and chamber will make a difference.

Some have found that a 52 gr. SMK BTHP or 53 gr. SMK HP is "nice" for close range shooting.  The 69 gr. SMK BTHP for up to 600 yds from a magazine (or KISS for across the course). And, of course there is longer, heavier, single shot loading and different brands to look at.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&brandID=1&displayAll=1

But, they all come at a price.

Aloha, Mark

I'm looking for a quality level between the hfmjbt and the SMK.  500 yards max.  Barrel listed above.  I'm basically wanting a better grade of plinker.  When I want top performance I've got a supply of Nosler BT and I'm sure I'll try some SMK in the near future for my top shelf loads.  I'll usually take 20-30 of those to a session for punching paper but might shoot 50-100 plinkers at my 4" steel plate at 300-450 yards.  Where all that matters is hit or no hit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Try the Nosler 69gr. on sale at midway for $40/250 if that is budget enough for you

Good Luck

Dave
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try the Nosler 69gr. on sale at midway for $40/250 if that is budget enough for you

Good Luck

Dave

Pretty close especially with the $139/1000 price that appears to be their normal price.  Anybody know how well AA2230 works with the heavier bullets?  If not, can you suggest a powder that meters well (I use a dillon) and works well with 69 grainers?  I know Varget does, how does it meter?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Hornaday 55 gr soft point shoots good for me also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Try TAC with the 69 grainers
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered 250 of the nosler 69 grain bthp.  I guess I'll try TAC or maybe see how Varget flows through my Lee PPM.  I know I'll be buying some Varget when I start loading .308 in a few weeks so if it doesn't work out for .223 it won't be a total loss.  Still a bit more than I wanted to spend but it looks like if these work out I'll be able to get a thousand for ~$139 so that's not too bad.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think you would go wrong with the Hornady 68 grain OTM.  One bullet, good for most everything.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Hornady 55 JSP are more accurate for me than their FMJBT.  Hornady/Sierra/Nosler 68-69 match bullets are all good in my 16" 1x9 AR.  I use H335 and MR2230 with the heavier bullets but am testing TAC now to see how it does since folks seem to like it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Well Doc,
   In the time it took you to think about posting this memo and me reading it, Wideners just sold out of a few hundreds of thousands of Lake City 55gn cannelured FMJ bullets (not ammo)  at $375/5000.   That is ridiculous!   No doubt, the horders and gunbroker traders are sucking this stuff up.  Makes it tough on the reloaders.  I would like to see Stan reimpose the limit per customer rule.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well Doc,
   In the time it took you to think about posting this memo and me reading it, Wideners just sold out of a few hundreds of thousands of Lake City 55gn cannelured FMJ bullets (not ammo)  at $375/5000.   That is ridiculous!   No doubt, the horders and gunbroker traders are sucking this stuff up.  Makes it tough on the reloaders.  I would like to see Stan reimpose the limit per customer rule.

Yeah, especially the way things are right now.  If things are selling out that quick they should definitely put a limit per customer.  They'd make just as much money but they'd have more customers.  Seems like smart business to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I loaded up some of the 69gr Nosler Custom Competitions and I think I've found my budget (sorta) accuracy round.  I tried TAC and Varget and Varget was the only one to deliver

sub-MOA groups.  I used a powder measure to load the varget because I wanted to see if it could deliver acceptable accuracy without weighing each charge.  I didn't chrony the two

loads shown because it was raining a bit when I first got to the range and I didn't want to mess my chronograph up.  However, 25.0 grains of varget delivered 2682fps so I'm sure I'll

find these shoot between 2500 and 2640.  I'm not thrilled with the velocity but these are plinkers and as long as they stay supersonic past 600 they should suit my needs just fine.

25.5 grains gave 2722fps and 1.65" with 9/10 in 1.24".  There were no pressure signs so I might try 26.0grains and see if things tighten up a bit, that would be ideal with a bit more velocity.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Try doing a ladder test to see were your accuracy nodes are.

load in .3 or .5gr increments and shoot them in order, mark each shot, then see were the loads come togethor, that will be were you want to start with your fine tuning for groups. Saves alot of time and components in finding were the best loads are for your rifle.

another nickles worth.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Try doing a ladder test to see were your accuracy nodes are.

load in .3 or .5gr increments and shoot them in order, mark each shot, then see were the loads come togethor, that will be were you want to start with your fine tuning for groups. Saves alot of time and components in finding were the best loads are for your rifle.

another nickles worth.

Dave

I've read about that but haven't tried it yet.  I usually just load in .5gr increments from min to max and shoot 10 shot groups with each load.  I find the node this way (as seen here with 24.0 and 24.5 but it does use a lot more components.  I have to drive about 40 miles to my range and I guess shooting all those rounds makes it feel more worth my while  I've got just about all I need for a portable loading set up.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
DOC
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure you'd want to shoot them at 600
Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yd) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft•lbs) (s) (in) (MOA
600 -123.3 -19.6 55.0 8.8 1290.5 1.156 255.1 0.977 171.9 27.4
123" drop at 600, with the vel of 1290, You are at the mercy of the drop AND the wind with 172 " for a cross wind of 10 mph.
If you plan to shoot 600, best to go at least a 75/77 gr, or better yet, an 80.
'Borg
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#26]
It works well, but can be a little confusing at 100, 200 makes the nodes easier to see. it is pretty cool when you see two or three shots in a row at the same point of verticle impact and then the spread out again. If you like to shoot more then do the full test were you set up as many targets as you have increments and then shoot five of each load shooting one of at each target in a row, that helps spread shooter error more evenly across the groups and also gets you lots of shooting.

I shoot highpower mainly so for me it is only important to get the fastest node that is forgiving in powder charge weight.  I end up loading about 4-5k for the year for my son and myself and don't have time to weigh each charge.

Besides the X ring is 1 min and the 10 is 2min's at 600 which is still tighter than I can hold slung in.

Still it's any time on the range is good time

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top