Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2009 8:57:16 PM EDT
I have reload shotgun rounds for years. But i have never reloaded rifle rounds. I got the Hornady Lock N Load progressive press for christmas.

All i have is the press. I have no clue what dies i will need. I will only be reloading 223/5.56 rounds for now. Maybe some 45 acp later on but for now just 5.56

Can someone please recommend what i need? or i book i should get to help me get started. Im figuring i will need a tumbler, powder scale, dies...

Not sure what else.

Any help would be welcomed

Also is this press any good.. Like i said i dont know much about these

Thanks

Jon P
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the "resource" section at the top.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and love it. Works smooth as silk. The Hornady LNL AP is a very good press. It sometimes takes a bit of tweaking on initial setup but take your time and make small adjustments. Think about what you are doing, read the manual and it is pretty easy.

A set of .223 dies (full length resize and seater die) will do it. However I recommend a Lee factory crimp die instead of crimping while seating. You can get all three in a set with the Lee Pacesetter set. Do not forget to lube bottleneck cases. When ready to tackle .45 ACP get a carbide die set. With the carbide sizer you don't need lube.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to the library, or even better, your favorite bookstore and get "The ABC's of Reloading" by Bill Chevalier.  This book got me started, and I recommend it as an excellent starting point.

link to Amazon books

Edit:  I'm not trying to blow you off here.  There's just too much to describe.  Get the book I recommended and it will guide you through the complete process and describe all of the equipment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Learn to read!  And, do your own home work.  This subject is a daily occurence!  READ the RESOURCES SECTION!  GEEZ
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have reload shotgun rounds for years. But i have never reloaded rifle rounds. I got the Hornady Lock N Load progressive press for christmas.

All i have is the press. I have no clue what dies i will need. I will only be reloading 223/5.56 rounds for now. Maybe some 45 acp later on but for now just 5.56

Can someone please recommend what i need? or i book i should get to help me get started. Im figuring i will need a tumbler, powder scale, dies...

Not sure what else.

Any help would be welcomed

Also is this press any good.. Like i said i dont know much about these

Thanks

Jon P

Sir, ditto what AeroE said!  FWIW, I try to practice the old adage that goes something like:  "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything".

Having said that,  of all the books I have on the subject I've always thought that the Precision Shooting Reloading manual had a lot of helpful info for both beginners as well as the more experienced.  Also the book by Glen Zediker entitled "Reloading for competition; making the target larger" is an excellent book particularly if you are interested in reloading .223 Rem. for an AR-15.  Even though I have been an experienced high power competitor and reloader with both M1As and AR-15s for quite a few years I still found a lot of helpful information in the book and I do refer to it occasionally.

As you learn more by not only by reading but also by doing you'll probably want to consider other cartridges for other guns that you may own.  As with anything new you'll have to experiment a bit on your own and most of us on this forum are more than willing to offer an opinion as you have seen.  Don't let the "grumpy old Men" chase you off.  HTH, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Pick up the ABC's of Reloading, as has been mentioned.  It's an excellent starter book and will let you know the kind of equipment you'll need to get.  When I got into this several months ago, I spent all kinds of time going through the tacked threads at the top of the forum.  There is a ton of good information up there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to those that did give me some info.

Ill be going to borders tomorrow and take a look at those books.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top