Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 7:43:20 AM EDT
Sorta new to reloading here so help me out a little bit.  I tried a search but didn't find what I was looking for.
As of now I have dies for 223 and 325wsm.
The 223 is for AR type rifles with the rest being bolt guns.
Do I want FL sizing dies or neck sizing dies....also which is better for AR?  I have been told neck if its a bolt gun, unless its brand new brass which I should use a FL die.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#1]
More experienced voices will come, but the consensus thus far has been autoloaders need to be full length sized, and unless you're reloading for your bolt gun with brass from the same bolt gun, it also will need full length sizing.  Firing the brass shapes it to the chamber in which it was fired.  No two chambers are completely identical.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
More experienced voices will come, but the consensus thus far has been autoloaders need to be full length sized, and unless you're reloading for your bolt gun with brass from the same bolt gun, it also will need full length sizing.  Firing the brass shapes it to the chamber in which it was fired.  No two chambers are completely identical.

I agree. I recommend full sizing for auto loaders. You an do neck sizing for your AR, but it's a little risky, especially if you are new to reloading. Without full sizing you may run into rounds that won't feed from your mag, a case getting stuck after firing, or even worse a round not fully locked into battery AND it's stuck and you can't pull it out.

Be sure and check your case length after you full size.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
For the AR, RCBS recommends you use a "Small Base Die". You might try useing a FL die on several cases and chamber them to see if they stick or are difficult to extract. If they cycle through, you might be GTG.
myerfire
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys...thats what I was thinking, but just checking.  For my 308, I am only going to be loading for it so I was under the impression neck sizing was fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#5]
For a bolt gun you'll want both.  You need a Full length die every now and again even with brass fired in your gun.  You can get by with just a full length die but you won't get by with just a neck die
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
ok thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, you would be best served FL sizing all until you get to a certain accuracy level.  I FL size my 300 WSM and it regularly throws groups under .75" at 100 yards for 5 shots.  Setup your headspace to fired - .0015 and you will be fine FL sizing until you get down around .5" @ 100.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Normal FL 223 sizing die for an AR.

Top of the page in Forum Resources under Tutorials is a great 4 part "loading 223" step by step with pics.

Will show you the fine points so you won't have to learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Normal FL 223 sizing die for an AR.

Top of the page in Forum Resources under Tutorials is a great 4 part "loading 223" step by step with pics.

Will show you the fine points so you won't have to learn the hard way.

Thanks!! I'll be sure to check that out!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top