Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:18:10 AM EDT
Im new to reloading,  I understand that you need to trim you necks esp. with rifle brass.

I bought a LEE case trimmer and case length guage and shell holder.  I put it all together, and when I put a .223 brass piece in it and attempt to trim (Im doing this all by hand, no machines), the brass neck is about 1/8 inch away from the trimmer.

Is this Normal? If so, can these brass pieces actually grow that much, over the course of shooting them?  

So do just SOME need to be trimmed and SOME do not? Or should all of them need it after they have been shot and reloaded a few times?

Thanks, any help you guys can provide me would be great!  Eric
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#1]
have you deprimed/resized the case before trying to trim?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
And, because the stem screws into the cutter.....there is some adjustment.  If you got your caliper out.....measure.....to be sure.  Do some test cases and make adjustments......thread locker helps to "keep things right."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have calipers? What does that particular case measure? 1/8" sounds too short to me. I've had them .020"- .030" short and long but never that much.
Once you get it figured out, throw that case holder in a drill and sit down in front of the TV. I've trimmed lots of brass that way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first bought my Lee trimmer I had the same problem. I had to tighten the rod down with pliers with a piece of rubber in the jaws as I wasn't getting it tight enough by hand.
After that it trimmed at 1.752.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Measure the case first.  Then go from there.  Use calipers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 to making sure the stem is screwed into the cutter. Its a tight fit. Mine trims right to

1.750. Must decap 1st.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Like was mentioned before.  Use your calipers to see if the cases are longer than 1.760.  These are the cases to trim and the rest can be left alone.  Some people trim all their cases (OCD or match shooting), others only trim those that are longer than 1.760.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Im a dip shit.

I did not have them deprimed,

Sorry for wasting your time guys, but I did say that Im new.

Thanks everyone for helping out a knucklehead.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have run into some surplus brass that has a primer flash hole so small the Lee Case trimmer won't work in them.  It has to go through the flash hole
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have run into some surplus brass that has a primer flash hole so small the Lee Case trimmer won't work in them.  It has to go through the flash hole

I had that problem with some commercial cases, maybe from Cabela's.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
You're neither a dipshit nor a knucklehead; they wouldn't have asked questions!

PM me with any reloading questions; I'll be happy to help.

Ken
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I first bought my Lee trimmer I had the same problem. I had to tighten the rod down with pliers with a piece of rubber in the jaws as I wasn't getting it tight enough by hand.
After that it trimmed at 1.752.

Me too. At least with the 223 rod. The 308 rod screws in flush by hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top