Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2009 5:42:57 AM EDT
I was able to pick up a bunch of small rifle magnum primers cheap and wanted to ask few questions before I started to bulk load. I know, load a few and try it, but a heads up before I start would be helpful.

I will be loading a bunch of .223 with various powders and expectations.
I will be loading plinking rounds with some H335, and H322 under some 55's and 62's. Do I need to be concerened with lowering the charge slightly with magnum primers.

Also would I be sacrificing accuracy if I used some with my DCM loads?
Those would be loaded with RE15 and H4895 under 69's and 77's.

I almost forgot maybe some 6.8 loads as well. Again Any reason to reduce load ammount?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
SRM primers are not mandatory for .223, though they can be useful with ball powders.

I would not use SRM primers with H-322, YMMV.

Start with 25.0gr of H-335 w/ the 55gr FMJBT.
Start with 24.0gr of H-335 w/ the 62gr FMJBT.

I use the Remington 7 1/2 primer in my CMP loads, though you can use the CCI #41 primer.

ETA:  If you are using Hornady or SSA cases, then yes, SRM primers can help you with the 6.8.

These are what I have used.

CCI-450, CCI #41, or Wolf SRM

Have also di*ked around with AA-2460 and AA-2520 (in .223 and 6.5/6.8), but their lot to lot consistency leaves something to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
the wolf magnums have the same amount of compound as the standard, just a harder cup. You should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The magnum primers I have are CCI 450's
Almost all of my .223 brass is LC or Fed Mil.
I appreciate the load data for the 55's and the 62's!

My 6.8 brass is SSA . So thanks for the heads up there. I might throw some mag primers into my test loads. Still working on them as we speak. I have less than fifty 6.8 rounds downrange as of now due to the weather. Tons of ice and snowstorms lately. Really like the caliber.

My DCM loads usually get Fed205M with RE15 and I intend to stick with it because it works so well for my bbl.
My DCM load concern / question was based on having to turn to the magnums primers due to a political intervention of the supply line in the future. We all hope it never happens. So again thanks for the data there.

AeroE I love your signature line!

Thanks folks!

Any other Magnum Primer recipes out there!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Since you're a DCM shooter.......Most would say to "test your primers."

Most hi-power articles I've read, say that a mild/consistent primer is what you should be looking for.  Mostly, that means a standard or Macth primer........not a magnum primer.  Along with a "stick" powder.

Course........writers will vary.  And, you USE what YOU like.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot AR15 in highpower/CMP comp, and have been reloading for accuracy in an AR15 for over 10 years. Back about 8-9 years ago one good recipe for Sierra 80s at 600 yards was a stiff load of N540 over a CCI 450 SRM primer running the 80 close to 2800 out of a 20" service rifle barrel. Then VV changed the lot and this load fell out of favor with everyone saying the new N540 wasn't the same. I (and many others using the AR15 in HP comp) have used pretty much all the SR primers out there including CCI BR-4s, Federal gold match, CCI 41, Rem 7.5, etc. Now a lot of folks are using the Russian (Wolf) SRM because they are getting good ES numbers, and the cup fits snug, a plus because the 600 loads we shoot tend to make a primer pocket loose way before the head or neck fails. With the Russian, I found that the regular SR ones would pierce in my AR's with even a short line load (77 Sierra at around 2750), and the SRM is what everyone is using. SO I don't think it is necessary to shoot SRM primers in an AR, unless you're talking about the Russian. PS I advise staying away from the Win SR primer; in my exp,  they pierce almost as bad as the Russian SR.

I run 20-shot strings over a chrono, trying the same load with different primers, and when I find a lot that has real low ES, I go and try to buy a couple sleeves. HTH YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top