Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 3:39:21 PM EDT
I'm building my first AR. It has is a mid-length upper with 1:7 twist 16" chrome lined barrel. I, have been reloading 9mm and its working ok.
What is a good load formula that you guys use for a 55gr bullet?
Funds are tight and I, don't want to buy wrong components and than not use them.
Have been reading reload manuels and talking to some people the more I research the more confused I, get. I, will be shooting 25-100 yrds indoor and outdoor.
The main thing I'm looking for is which brand primer and powder to use with 55gr fmjbt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Hodgdon Benchmark under 55 grain Hornadies with Wolf magnum primers in RP brass. Five shot groups at 100 yards out of my Sabre 16" midlength with a CQ/T on top are 1.0-1.5 inches.

I'm not a fan of using ball powders here in the AZ heat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
For primers, you will need the Small Rifle size.

Use any of these, Win SR(small rifle), Rem 7 1/2, CCI-400, Wolf "rem 223".

Which ever you can find in your area.

Powders, any that are listed with the 55 gr FMJBT data.

Popular powders, ball type(easy to measure accurately) BLC2, H-335, AA-2230, Tac, W-748.

For best possible accuracy, Varget or RL-15 (extruded type, doesn't measure as well as ball), but worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Varget, Hornady V-max's [60 gr] and Federal srp  in my 1/7 barrel..they work pretty good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top