Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 6:07:51 AM EDT
I just reloaded for the first time about 40 rounds of .223 using a Rock Chucker with RCB small base die set. i did everything by the Speer book and they came out fine until the seater/crimper die.

About half of the rounds have a fairly large bulge at the base of the neck and shoulders of the cases and are out of spec. I'm not even going to try to fire them and will just recycle the components.

I suspect that it's happening when the Hornady 55gr. FMJ bullet is being pushed into the neck and putting too much force down on the neck.

Does these bullets need to be lubed or waxed to make it slide into the neck easier?

What product do you recommend getting?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Imperial Sizing Wax, and I do not think that is your problem.  You probably have the die set too far down.  Back your die out, and reset it per the instructions (raise ram to the top of the stroke, screw die down until it touches the shell carrier, then back off a half turn or so).  That is about the only reason you are squishing the brass, and forming a collar around the shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
As above.  If your cases vary a bit in length, then your die might be trying to crimp too early which would cause the problem.  If I'm going to crimp, then I make sure all the cases are the same length (within +/- 0.002") and generally crimp after the bullets are seated.  This makes for a separate operation, but the overall length and crimp are more consistent.

When crimping as a separate step, make sure that your seating stem is backed off.

Another possible cause is that the cases might not be deburred enough on the inside of the case mouth.  This could cause too much resistance on seating.  But, since you are using a boat-tailed bullet. this is not as likely.

The only bullets that need lube are cast bullets.  Jacketed bullets you want dry so that there is more friction holding the bullet in place.  Not enough friction can cause the bullets to seat deeper in the case when being fed from the magazine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Too much crimp,,, back the die body out.
'Borg
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it with the next batch.

-WT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to separate the bullet seating and crimping into two separate operations. I'd recommend you buy a separate crimp die like the Lee Factory Crimp. Those things work great.

I have bulged a few cases myself trying to seat and crimp with the same die
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 get a Lee FCD.

Back out Seat/crimp die to seat bullets only.

Crimp with FCD.

With the FCD the case length is not as critical as with a combo seat/crimp die.

You didn't mention it but, you did check the case length after sizing?

Should be 1.750 to 1.760 max.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top