Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 7:41:29 PM EDT
Sometimes my 550 is frickin hard to index other times its smooth as silk. When its tough i have to really push to turn it and it really hurts my finger Keep in mind this is a brand new 550 so do I just need to lube the crap out of it or do you think its something more serious with the bearing under the shellplate?

I spun it alot to work on getting used to the motion but still haven't loaded a round yet
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the big screw that screws down the shellplate to tight?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I had this happen to me and the problem was that the big bolt that holds the shell plate down was moving allowing it to tighten and loosen.  to fix the problem you need to loosen the little brass screw  on the side of the ram and then adjust the screw to proper tightness on the shell plate. once the shell plate is at proper tightness make sure you tighten the little brass screw on the side of the ram again and everything will work fine..i had this happen to me on my 550 and it took me forever to figure it out..good luck..
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the pivot bolt is just a hair too tight; loosen the set screw on the left side of the ram and then back off the pivot bolt a couple degrees at a time as you turn the shell plate clockwise. When it's smooth turning, but not loose, tighten the set screw again. I also put a dab of grease under the head of the pivot bolt, though iirc, Dillon says not to do so; you're on your own there.
The shell plate shouldn't be loose or wobbly as the brass will tip and not line up with your dies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure when you adjust your shell plate bolt to crank it all the way down then back off just enough to keep it from wobbling then lower the handle and tighten the brass set screw at the top of the piston
It should not be tight at all, your thumb should be able to rotate it freely
This may help:
Dillon Setup
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
make sure this screw is snug

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If the above posts don't fix your problem, check the wire ejector that kicks the loaded round out after stage 4. Mine was not seated all the way down, and it was binding against the bottom of the index sprocket... took me awhile to figure it out....
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes, a bit of powder under the shellplate will also cause that problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing that can be problematic is the use of different brands of brass ie rim thickness.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had this happen to me and the problem was that the big bolt that holds the shell plate down was moving allowing it to tighten and loosen.  to fix the problem you need to loosen the little brass screw  on the side of the ram and then adjust the screw to proper tightness on the shell plate. once the shell plate is at proper tightness make sure you tighten the little brass screw on the side of the ram again and everything will work fine..i had this happen to me on my 550 and it took me forever to figure it out..good luck..

Thanks this was exactly my problem. 5 minute fix thanks! I knew it wasn't powder cause I haven't even loaded one yet
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks this was exactly my problem. 5 minute fix thanks! I knew it wasn't powder cause I haven't even loaded one yet

Be sure and loosen the lock screw before you try to loosen or remove the shellplate bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top