Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 10:42:48 AM EDT
How do u remove really stuck cases from die?  I tried putting in a old screw driver and hammering it, but it's not budging at all.  What is the next step?  Will heating cooling help?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Drill/tap out the primer pocket to 1/4-20...

insert die in press upside down or in a vice...

stack some nuts/washers whatever...

insert 1/4-20 bolt and pull case out  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You could try that...........

But read this.........

Stuck Case Removal

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=463

Home Made

www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/shellextractor/index.asp

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How do u remove really stuck cases from die?  I tried putting in a old screw driver and hammering it, but it's not budging at all.  What is the next step?  Will heating cooling help?

just happened to me. Some good feedback on the fourms.
stuck case (you decide)
I disassembled the top of the decapper resizer. shot some CLP in it.
Inserted a USGI cleaning rod and carefully/whacked it 2 times. I held it so not to scratch or damage the inside of the die.

It came out I inspected it the interior looked fine.
HOWEVER I AM A nOOb. So proceed with caution. refer to the senior reloaders on the board.

There are kits available

BTW what type die and what type lube (just curious)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
use the right tools or assemble your own for stuck case removal doing hack job is not a bright idea!  Every reloader needs a stuck case remover kit!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a live primer, anyway to deactivate it or do i have to get one of those hand depriming tools also so i can drill?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
To deactivate the primer spray some penatrating oil in to the case and let it sit for a little while. Then secure the die into a vice and caerfully drill into the primer and through the case head. (make sure you wear eye and ear protection when doing this) Then what I do is use a self drilling screw and a 3/8" socket. Take the socket and place it around the case head. Then put the self drilling screw through the socket to the case head. When to screw into the case head the screw head will stop on the socket and start to draw the case head into the socket and out of the die.

(note the socket size can vary depending on what caliber case you have stuck in the die. The 3/8" is for 223.)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
any other oil work? i dont have any penetrating oil around at the moment.  any of the guncleaner work by chance?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
if you havnt fashioned a remover  Throw it in the freezer for a couple  of  hours then give the case a thump with you screwdriver and hammer..
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Primers have a plastic film covering the detonating mixture and can be pretty hard to deactivate – plus you can’t be certain when it is deactivated.

If possible, I’d suggest you just very gently deprime the case.  If necessary and if you’ve got one, maybe remove a decapping stem from a pistol die and use it as a punch.  (Since you tried a screwdriver on it, I assume the expander ball isn’t stuck inside the case.)

While not really necessary, as a last resort you can always send the die to the manufacturer (though I’d get the primer out of there first).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top