Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 9:18:25 PM EDT
I cast some bullets for the first time the other day.  Well actually 12 guage slugs.  They turned out real nice.  Nicer looking than most the case bullets I have purchased and they shot well also.

My question is a when I melt the lead and flux a bunch of crap floats to the top and I scoop it out.  It then looks all nice and silver in color but after a few min the top has a purplish tinge to it but there is no crud or anything.  Is this normal?  I wasn't sure if I should scoop the top layer with the tinge or not.  I did a couple of times but it kept repeating so I just gave up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I cast some bullets for the first time the other day.  Well actually 12 guage slugs.  They turned out real nice.  Nicer looking than most the case bullets I have purchased and they shot well also.

My question is a when I melt the lead and flux a bunch of crap floats to the top and I scoop it out.  It then looks all nice and silver in color but after a few min the top has a purplish tinge to it but there is no crud or anything.  Is this normal?  I wasn't sure if I should scoop the top layer with the tinge or not.  I did a couple of times but it kept repeating so I just gave up.

The layer of crud (called dross) is dirt, oxidation, and other impurities that are basically NOT lead. The flux helps to make this stuff rise out of the lead pot.

The purple tinge is (my WAG) oxidation. Lead oxidizes rather quickly. Don't worry about it, but try not to include it in your casting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Lee has an inexpensive bottom pour pot that does a good job of keeping the crud out. Melt, flux, and scoop as normal, but any oxidation that forms will stal on top as you are drawing lead from the bottom. When the level gets low, add more lead to the pot and repeat the flux and scoop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top