Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:04:09 AM EDT
What is the best Small Pistol Primer I can get?

Winchester seems to be the cheapest around here.

ffh
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I think "best" is an arbitrary term regarding primers.

If you're loading super accurate match ammo, go with a match primer, other wise, just about any one will do for plinking ammo.

I've heard that some brands are softer than others, but don't remember which ones.

From my own experience with handgun loading, I can interchange primers with no penalties in accuracy or pressure variation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
plinking wolf makes a primer for 89.00 for 5000.with the hazmat shipping it's still cheaper than any think around. now for match ammo i would stick with the big boys...cci rem win
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
David Tubb endorses the russian primers distributed by wolf for match shooting so dont discount them so quick. Apparently they are very consistent. I have 15000 for rifle and pistol but havent tapped into them yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#4]
i've not capped any of mine but will be soon. That is good news for wolf primers.
The price of their primers are too good to not at least try them out. It's probally one of the best buys still out there.

on the wolf front
some people just dont like wolf
I just picked up 450 rounds of 5.56 for 50 bucks because this person just wants rid of wolf.
i said more please.
silly huh

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind that wolf just puts there name on them. I think the Large rifle ones were actually known as KVB-7's before Wolf slapped there name onto them. They are a great price at $89. Especially since the local Bass Pro is selling Winchesters at $39.95/1000
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I use magtech primers with no problem. bought 10k at a gunshow for 80 per 5k. never had a dud with them. Am waiting for the next show to pick up some more.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]

What is the best Small Pistol Primer I can get?

The answer is:  The one(s) that'll work in YOUR firearm.

Example:  Cowboy shooters are known for lightening their hammer springs and some have mentioned that certain brands will not be set off with their firearm.  So, they'll only use a certain brand.  Use another brand and they'll have "problems."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever is available at a good price, they are all good.

I have used Winchester primers for years, all sizes.

Recently tried Wolf SRM in my 3 standard 223 loads, 55, 62. 68 grs.

Worked up to the same powder charges that I use with Win. primers, all loads shot as good or better.

Don't fear Wolf primers, enjoy the price.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I am getting 10K small pistol primers for $116 per 5K.  That is not bad.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Every primer brand has different enough properties that is is a variable affecting accuracy. When developing a load, I sample every primer out there before buying in bulk.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Winchester.  They work great.  And, they shoot very accurate groups for me.  I test at 50 yards, and they are very good.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]

I currently use Winchester small pistol.  I've also used CCI but gave me similar results.  I stick to Winchester due to cheaper cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top