Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:10:31 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I plan on starting to reload my .308's here pretty soon.  I have a couple questions though.

First off (I know this question depends on a lot of stuff) does a shell have a certain "life expectancy"?  What I mean; is there a certain number of times you can expect to reload a shell before it becomes 'no good'?  Or will they just work until they are damaged in some way?

I have heard there are certain types of shells that can't (or shouldn't) be reloaded.  What type is this and how do you identify them?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Berdan primed shells are for all intents and purposes not reloadable, they will have two flash holes on the inside and will break your decapping pin if one goes through your press.

as for how many times, some people only reload a certain number of time, I keep reloading them until they no-longer pass my inspection, usually they look like they are about to crack, or they already have, or whatnot
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
Berdan primed shells are for all intents and purposes not reloadable, they will have two flash holes on the inside and will break your decapping pin if one goes through your press.

So to identify these I can hold them up to the light, look into the mouth of the shell and if i see light then it is a 'no go' for reloading?  Is this correct?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Boxer and Berdan Cartridge Cases

Normally, all US manufactured brass cased ammunition uses a BOXER primer. CCI uses a BERDAN primer in their aluminum cased Blazer Ammunition. But, it was not meant to be re-loaded.

Some FOREIGN manufacturers will use the BERDAN primer and some will use the BOXER primer......it's best to check.

In order to determine what you have, shine a bright light into the case (from the neck side) and look at the back side of the primer. One hole in the center, is BOXER primed and it's re-loadable. If you see two smaller holes, usually off center, it's BERDAN primed, and for all practical purposes it's NOT re-loadable

More info..........Boxer or Berdan (with drawing/picture)?

www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/primer.cfm

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Case Life............

The absolutely correct answer is "it depends." It depends on a LOT of things, and while it would be possible to cover many of the more important factors, it's simpler to say that you should stop loading a case when it shows signs of not being safe. Cracked cases, bulged cases, loose primer pockets, cases showing an incipient head separation (that bright ring just above the base is a dead giveaway), are some of the cases you should reject during the loading process. It should be VERY clear that you must inspect EACH case EVERY TIME you propose to load it. That will keep you safe.

GHPorter (AR15.COM Forum)

Overpressure signs (photos), look about half way down the page….…….

www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top