Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 4:44:28 PM EDT
Greeting to all,

lots of back and forth in the threads which is best, home made recipes.
Anyway,

Alcohol based (Lee & Alcohol), water based (KY), petroleum based (motor oil)?
Would it matter?

Clean up easier with more alcohol content (evaporation).
Ok. Poke fun at the new guy....
I'm ready
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
alchohol based is probably best in the long run.  It's thinner and dries out faster.  Both aspects speed up the reloading process and extend the life of your tumbling media.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If making your own lube, then duplicate the best, Dillon spray lube. Alcohol based.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I just did research on this very thing..the alcohol/lanolin mix is recommended by lots of people. to make it you need 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (91% will work and found
readily) and pure liquid lanolin (found at health food stores) it must be pure liquid lanolin, not "anhydrous" (? spellin?") pure liquid lanolin has no fatty content.
mix 1 part liquid lanolin to 4 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol and shake well. put in common spray bottle and spray away.
I am currently looking for these items locally (found the 91% alcohol at the local pharmacy) and will look for the lanolin this week.
I found the lanolin online for 2.95 for a 4oz bottle, that would make a pint of lube!
my $.02
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the same mix, my local Safeway supermarket carries the 99% isopropyl alcohol. I get the lanolin from the wife, she is a maturnity nusre and brings home the sample tubes of nipple cream for nusing mothers, pure lanolin.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
How about Glycerol (60%) Water (40%). Found some of this at class (Paramedic instructor) was thinking of using it. We use it to lubricate the airways of the intubation maniklins

ETA or food grade silicone?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just did research on this very thing..the alcohol/lanolin mix is recommended by lots of people. to make it you need 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (91% will work and found
readily) and pure liquid lanolin (found at health food stores) it must be pure liquid lanolin, not "anhydrous" (? spellin?") pure liquid lanolin has no fatty content.
mix 1 part liquid lanolin to 4 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol and shake well. put in common spray bottle and spray away.
I am currently looking for these items locally (found the 91% alcohol at the local pharmacy) and will look for the lanolin this week.
I found the lanolin online for 2.95 for a 4oz bottle, that would make a pint of lube!
my $.02

Use 99% alcohol - 91% is 9% water - leaves cases less than "dry" when mixed with lanolin.
One internet source is First Aid Product

Pure lanolin is available in lots of places.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
99% can be ordered for any pharmacy,, comes in the next day.
'Borg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top