Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 7:21:55 PM EDT
I have a set of Dillon carbide dies and I'm trying to figure out if it is neccesary to lube the cases.Brass is once fired commercial.Any advice guys?Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, they need lubing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, much easier if you lube.  Also doesn't scratch the snot out of the cases.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a set of RCBS carbides dies that I've never lubed for,, it's just like sizing a 357.
Don't tell me that the Dillon is made so poorly that you have to use lube,, I know better
'Borg
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
um....I don't.

Straight walls, and carbide dies.  You should be cool, but you can if you want, wont hurt anything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks,will try some and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Carbine cases have a pretty heavy taper on them.  If you use a spray lube just lube them, if you use a pad or Imperial sizing wax you can get away with lubing every other or every third.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Like 357, and 45 Colt I lube them just because it's easier to do the work of resizing. Not that it's really needed with carbide, but why work twice as hard?  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I should qualify my statement above.  I need to lube them because I don't have carbide dies for my .30 Carbine.

ETA  I happen to check Lee's Surplus Items page and they have the .30 Carbine Carbide 3 die set for $36 so I picked up a set.  I still plan to lube with Dillon spray but I figure that carbide will be easier than straight steel dies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I've loaded 30 carbine, RCBS carbide dies, and never used any lube.

I never had a problem.

I don't use lube in any of my carbide dies.

I don't have the carbide die in 223.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Supposedly, carbide dies don't require lubricated cases.  But.....  Lubricating the brass makes it MUCH easier to size cases, which means you'll get more done in less time and not be as tired or sore.

I've done hundreds of .30 carbine cases at a time, and the reduced effort of sizing them with lube compared to without is amazing.  Lube 'em.  You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, late to the party…

I use carbide dies but lube every 5th one. Actually I lube a bunch and keep them separate, adding one into the process every 5th round.

Needed or not, I don't care! It is a matter of feel and the sound it makes if you don't. Pay attention when your reloading equipment is talking to you!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Carbide dies were designed to be used without lube,, that is their main selling point.
Name one Mfg that advocates the use of lube with a carbide straight walled die?  ,,, tick tock.
'Borg
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Carbide dies were designed to be used without lube,, that is their main selling point.
Name one Mfg that advocates the use of lube with a carbide straight walled die?  ,,, tick tock.
'Borg
Betcha most of their spokesmen are also rather large, burly guys with really big arms, too.  Lube "needed?"  No.  "Desirable?"  For me, yes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Supposedly, carbide dies don't require lubricated cases.  But.....  Lubricating the brass makes it MUCH easier to size cases, which means you'll get more done in less time and not be as tired or sore.

I've done hundreds of .30 carbine cases at a time, and the reduced effort of sizing them with lube compared to without is amazing.  Lube 'em.  You'll be glad you did.

Guess I have just been lucky. Never a squeak, and sizing effort is minimal with no lube.

My brass is mirror bright from tumbling, maybe that is the difference in our experiences.

I don't mind at all if you want to lube, I'll skip it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess I have just been lucky. Never a squeak, and sizing effort is minimal with no lube.

My brass is mirror bright from tumbling, maybe that is the difference in our experiences.

I don't mind at all if you want to lube, I'll skip it.
I don't polish range brass that bright, and I "depend on the charity of others" when it comes to .30 carbine brass specifically.  LOTS of people "donate" to my cause (the M1 does tend to throw brass hither and yon...), so I often wind up with brass that isn't as pristine as I'd like.  Those two issues probably have a lot to do with it.  But in general, I like to wimp whenever possible when it comes to physical effort involving the shoulder.  A bad shoulder doesn't go well with reloading, and my right shoulder is "moderately bad," so I do whatever I can to reduce the strain and load.  I lube everything, more or less depending on what I'm doing and what dies I'm using, and so on, just because I want to keep loading for a long, long time.  And since lube is needed in so many applications where there are no (reasonable) carbide dies anyway, it's just part of my normal routine...

So yes, it comes down to personal preference, and I have lots of reasons to prefer slippery sizing over dry.

Oh, that sounded dirty, didn't it...  Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
'Borg

Well 'Borg, I got bad news for you;  Lee does on their .30 Carbine Carbide.  

I just got my shipment from Lee and their instructions clearly state that even though the dies are carbide, they recommend that you lube at least every 5th case.  I adjusted the dies in my toolhead and tried a couple dry.  They are still stiff even with the carbide.  A shot of Dillon Case Lube and they go as slick as sh^t through a pig.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
'Borg

Well 'Borg, I got bad news for you;  Lee does on their .30 Carbine Carbide.  

I just got my shipment from Lee and their instructions clearly state that even though the dies are carbide, they recommend that you lube at least every 5th case.  I adjusted the dies in my toolhead and tried a couple dry.  They are still stiff even with the carbide.  A shot of Dillon Case Lube and they go as slick as sh^t through a pig.

Then they aren't the norm,, maybe not as finely finished or rough?
But, then some of the literature I've seen from Lee in the past I wouldn't trust.
'Borg
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#20]
What leads you to believe that?  Lee lists them (carbide) as a std die set.  I have Lee Deluxe Carbide 4 die pistol sets for my 40sw, .45acp, and 10mm and they all have worked great for many K rounds.  Lee doesn't suggest that you lube those because they have little if any taper to the case.  The .30 Carbine's case is tapered.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Then they aren't the norm,, maybe not as finely finished or rough?
But, then some of the literature I've seen from Lee in the past I wouldn't trust.

'Borg

Well Dillon says it is necessary too - Dillon

RCBS instructions say you can eliminate lube with carbide, "...for reloading straight-wall pistol cases…" - RCBS

So… are the statements of Lee, Dillon and RCBS enough to sway you or do you still insist they are not to be trusted?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

RCBS instructions say you can eliminate lube with carbide, "...for reloading straight-wall pistol cases…" - RCBS

So… are the statements of Lee, Dillon and RCBS enough to sway you or do you still insist they are not to be trusted?

RCBS says you don't need to lube if carbide in that link.
That supprises me on the Dillon,, unless they use a longer carbide ring than normal.
I've used the RCBS for over 30 yrs without lube and it's just as easy as sizing 357 or 44 mag with carbide sizer.
'Borg

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

RCBS says you don't need to lube if carbide in that link.
That surprises me on the Dillon,, unless they use a longer carbide ring than normal.
I've used the RCBS for over 30 yrs without lube and it's just as easy as sizing 357 or 44 mag with carbide sizer.
'Borg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top