Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2008 4:14:19 AM EDT
I currently have a Dillon balance beam scale and would like to find a digital one that won'y break the bank, I know a scale's accuracy is REAL IMPORTANT !! but I really don't want to drop big money into one
I have seen several on Ebay they are marketed as jewelry scales and go for about $30-$50 but I am not sure how good they are I believe the brand is DigiScale
Here is the link on Ebay Scales

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a favor buy once and cry once!  Stick with the brand names.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as reloading goes, a beam scale is fine and is just as accurate and fast as a digital scale without the hassles of electronics going goofy or flat dying.  A digital scale is faster if you are weighing objects and want to know what they weigh; in reloading you are weighing a predetermined/preset quantity.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Dillon scale, love it.  I've seen others' PACT scales. Was impressed by it.  I kept my old RCBS 10-10 scale as a back up.

With a digital scale you can speed things up as when adjusting the powder measure.  Throw a charge, weigh it, adjust powder measure, zero the scale without removing previous powder charge on  it, repeat.

You can also weigh 2-3X a single charge and see if your measure is really on the money.

For example, if you calibrate the powder measure to throw 25.0 grains, it's really 24.9 - 25.1 grains.  If you weigh 3 consequentive powder throws and get 75.0 grains then you're really at 25.0 grains.  If you get 74.8 grains, you're really throwing 24.93 grains

I have an example of this in Tutorial IV
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I really was not up on the cheap jewelry scales so I will most likely hunt around for a Brand name digital one that won't make me take out a 2nd mortage
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently picked up a RCBS 750 electronic scale which I’m extremely happy with.  Thus far, it does everything right.

See  www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=814722&t=11082005

ETA:  FWIW, it does have a "made in China" sticker on it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
RCBS works just fine, keep you mechanical scale for a back up unit....If you want to take out a mortgage, then get Prometheus.   A Denver Instruments MXX123 is not tall that expensive!
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
i see cheap digital jewelery scales all over ebay  for 20-30 dollars   why is  100 $  RCBS any better ,, just asking,,,,,,

i use a  RCBS 505 myself bought  years ago

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one of those digital scales off of ebay.  It was about 25 bucks shipped.  Weighed a charge with it and my lee balance beam and they were exactly the same.  It's accurate to .1 grains or .01 grams and .01 ounces and came with check weights to calibrate it every once in a while.  So far it's worked fine and sped up the reloading process a lot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought one of those digital scales off of ebay.  It was about 25 bucks shipped.  Weighed a charge with it and my lee balance beam and they were exactly the same.  It's accurate to .1 grains or .01 grams and .01 ounces and came with check weights to calibrate it every once in a while.  So far it's worked fine and sped up the reloading process a lot.

Which one did you buy ?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I recently picked up a RCBS 750 electronic scale which I’m extremely happy with.  Thus far, it does everything right.

See  www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=814722&t=11082005

+1

Best $100 spent on a scale!

Rarely needs zeroing...good to +/- .01 grain..air currents not a problem.

Now, if you reload many different calibers/loads or may want to consider a dispenser/scale with memory.

However, my RCBS 750 works great!

docgary

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one did you buy ?

I got one of these, this one is from the same guy that I got mine from.

Ebay Link
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the link........I just put in a bid.

Though........MY MISTAKE (that auction ends on July 15th).

Cause, there are several other exact ones.  With the auction ending in a couple of hours.  NO ONE, is bidding on them.  So, you could probably get them for the, "opening bid price."

SELLER'S STORE ON E-BAY

Look for: "100 X 0.01 GRAM DIGITAL JEWELRY LAB SCALE 0.001 OUNCE"
*And, similar names from the same seller.

Description

Ultra precision .01g accuracy to ensure the most accurate weight possible!!  This scale measures with unmatched precision in 4 modes (g,oz,ct,and gn).  Includes two 50 gram calibration weights.  Bright backlight display for easy reading.  Perfect for lab chemicals, jewelry, diamonds, gemstones, gold, silver, coins, spices, gun powder, envelopes, and much more.  Comes complete with a manufactures Lifetime Warranty!! Comes pre-calibrated out of the box. You will will be pleased and enjoy years of use out of your scale!

Mode /////// Capacity //////// Accuracy

Gram ///////// 100 //////////// 0.01
Ounce //////// 3.527 /////////// 0.001
Carat ///////// 500 //////////// 0.05
Grain ///////// 1542.8 ////////// 0.1

• High quality strain gauge load cell system for unmatched accuracy.

• High density ABS housing and metal support for years of flawless use.

• Easy Button: on/off, mode, Tare

• Measuring units: Grams, Ounces, Grains and Carats.

• Bright Backlight LCD Screen for easy reading.
• Tare feature to set zero at anytime.

• Includes 2 50 gram calibration weights.
• Easy to recalibrate to ensure accurate weighing.
• Auto Off feature to save battery.
• Two AA batteries included.
• Dimensions 5" x 3 1/8" x 3/4"
• Platform size: 3" x 2 5/8"

• Attractive stainless steel weighing platform.

• Detachable clear cover can be used for a weighing tray

• Backlight can be switched off for prolonged battery life.

• Lifetime Manufacture Warranty.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link........I just put in a bid.

Though........MY MISTAKE (that auction ends on July 15th).

Cause, there are several other exact ones.  With the auction ending in a couple of hours.  NO ONE, is bidding on them.  So, you could probably get them for the, "opening bid price."

SELLER'S STORE ON E-BAY

Look for: "100 X 0.01 GRAM DIGITAL JEWELRY LAB SCALE 0.001 OUNCE"
*And, similar names from the same seller.

Description

Ultra precision .01g accuracy to ensure the most accurate weight possible!!  This scale measures with unmatched precision in 4 modes (g,oz,ct,and gn).  Includes two 50 gram calibration weights.  Bright backlight display for easy reading.  Perfect for lab chemicals, jewelry, diamonds, gemstones, gold, silver, coins, spices, gun powder, envelopes, and much more.  Comes complete with a manufactures Lifetime Warranty!! Comes pre-calibrated out of the box. You will will be pleased and enjoy years of use out of your scale!

Mode /////// Capacity //////// Accuracy

Gram ///////// 100 //////////// 0.01
Ounce //////// 3.527 /////////// 0.001
Carat ///////// 500 //////////// 0.05
Grain ///////// 1542.8 ////////// 0.1

• High quality strain gauge load cell system for unmatched accuracy.

• High density ABS housing and metal support for years of flawless use.

• Easy Button: on/off, mode, Tare

• Measuring units: Grams, Ounces, Grains and Carats.

• Bright Backlight LCD Screen for easy reading.
• Tare feature to set zero at anytime.

• Includes 2 50 gram calibration weights.
• Easy to recalibrate to ensure accurate weighing.
• Auto Off feature to save battery.
• Two AA batteries included.
• Dimensions 5" x 3 1/8" x 3/4"
• Platform size: 3" x 2 5/8"

• Attractive stainless steel weighing platform.

• Detachable clear cover can be used for a weighing tray

• Backlight can be switched off for prolonged battery life.

• Lifetime Manufacture Warranty.

Aloha, Mark

How does this one hold up against a RCBS, Dillon Etc...
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I doubt that you can find someone who owns all the scales that you have mentioned.   And, FWIW........It's almost the same argument about: digital caliper X Brand vs. digital caliper Y Brand

Then.........there will always be someone out there, that will say something to the effect of:

My X Brand watch is accurate and cost me $$$$$.

Then, someone will chime in and say my Y Brand watch cost me $$.

Does price always mean superior performance?  And at what price does performance come at?  

Does my Timex tell time?  Does a ROLEX tell time?  Will I still get to work on time.......IF, I were to use one watch, instead of the other?

So...........which is better?  (Well, you could checkout the accuracy level between competeing products).

Anyway, there is a Lifetime Manufacturer's Warranty and it comes with check weights.   We aren't weighing out plutonium for "The BOMB" here.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........as an example..........Dillon's elec scale sells for $139.95

900 grain/57 gram capacity
Accurate to0.1 grain/0.01 gram
Uses four AA batteries (included)
Comes with its own AC adapter
Scale check weight included

So......it's painted BLUE and has an AC cord and less total capacity and the same accuracy.  And, with Dillon, your wife won't be able to weigh her diamonds.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Well stated !!! off to ebay for my scale

Thanks

Edit: Just won my scale and it came to $19.96 total will report back when I receive and test
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I sort of knew that the weighing diamonds part, was gonna seal the deal.  Especially IF you have to consult with the other half.  Then again, you may only have to say something, AFTER you're caught.

HE said, "But, but, Honey......this scale is real useful.  It can even weigh your diamonds."

She questioned, "What diamonds?"

HIS response, "The one(s) you're gonna get......just as soon as, I win the lottery."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Like i said I have a balance beam but when I am jumping between charges I thought it would be nice to have a instant readout of the weight.
And who can afford diamonds with all the reload stuff I have to get,  but then I have to set my priorities but I would not tell her that
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Received my scale today like the one listed, pulled several charges and compared using my balance beam both came out identical in weight and the digital is so much faster so my take on this $25 scale is get one and poor the money you will save into other components Scale
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Do yourself a favor and buy a good digital scale.  Look at the Acculab VIC123 and the Denver Instruments' MXX-1223 equivalent.  They cost about $250.  They are great.  

Weight measurement is so fundamental to reloading, it is worth having a good scale.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
panther308,

You might want to check it over really good.  And consider IF you want to keep it or return it.

STORY TIME:

I lost my auction (July 15th) and anyway I was looking around checking to make a NEW bid.

Then I noticed that his new offers for the same scale had accuracy of 0.2 gr. not the 0.1 gr. as was mentioned with yours.

I contacted the seller and he said........

Hi,
The manufacture shows .1grain, but the scale only goes by .2 increments.  I never realized until recently and that is why the new ones have that specified.  I havn’t had any issues (just one customer)

Please use reply or copy and paste this email in all future messages to ensure proper repsonse and processing.
Thank you,
Tim Harrelson
Raven Scales

Well...........based on the 0.2 gr. readings............I'll stick to my balance beam scale (for now at least).  My balance beam is good for 0.1 gr.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Have already contacted the seller for a way to send it back as the .02 is not acceptable, will wait to see if I get a reply for exchange or refund
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Have already contacted the seller for a way to send it back as the .02 is not acceptable, will wait to see if I get a reply for exchange or refund

.02 is totally fine .Do you mean .2?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]
sorry, yes .2, I checked the scale and trickled powder and it moves by .2 gn not the .1 advertised but the seller but he has now changed his description and has a 30 day return policy
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and buy a good digital scale.  Look at the Acculab VIC123 and the Denver Instruments' MXX-1223 equivalent.  They cost about $250.  They are great.  

Weight measurement is so fundamental to reloading, it is worth having a good scale.

I bought a mxx-123 and sent it back. It was all over the place and big and very cheap looking for a $250 scale.

I just can't find anything that is as simple or works as good as the one I bought at Cabellas. (it is a Cabellas scale, their top one)
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#25]
If an MXX-123 is "all over the place" you must have a drafty location or a defective unit.  Mine is an Acculab VIC-123.  It is rock solid.  You can trickle up in it.  It holds it zero really well.  It displays weight to 0.05 gr, has a clibration weight, talks to the PC,...  very good scale.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up one of these at a gun show a while back. It reads the same as my beam scale. For $25 I figured I'd give it a try. Happy so far, we'll see how it holds up...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I looked at the specs and see that it is +/- 0.1 which to me means can vary 0.2 which is what I am sending back I would prefer alittle tighter variance but after searching I see that comes at a higher price
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not clear on the spec you refer to but that type of spec usually refers to the display.  It displays weight to thte nearest 0.1 gr.  This usually means it is weighed to the nearest 0.05 gr and displayed to the nearest 0.1.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#29]
RCBS from Midway USA.

When I am loading little bombs that I am going to touch off next to my face I want to make sure its accurate.

YMMV

I used my Lee beam scale for awhile, but I got tired of waiting for it to balance. It was also slower to calibrate and DOG SLOW if I was weighing out unknown items. The RCBS is a LOT faster for weighing cases or projectiles.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm not clear on the spec you refer to but that type of spec usually refers to the display.  It displays weight to thte nearest 0.1 gr.  This usually means it is weighed to the nearest 0.05 gr and displayed to the nearest 0.1.

The scale I am sending back only measures by .2gn increments which the seller did not know, he was more than happy to take it back and said this has not been a issue for most but I feel it is  for a accurate load, the scale is very nice but I would prefer to have one that measures by .1 gns not .2, I most likely will have to cough up bigger money for what I want.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I must have picked up one of the older ones then.  I've trickled powder into mine and watched it go up in .1 grain increments.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Consider this one?

www.grafs.com/product/203176  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Consider this one?

www.grafs.com/product/203176  

Aloha, Mark

I already have looked at this and they are on alot of reload supply sites, once I get my $$ back on the other I may order one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top