Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2008 5:28:17 PM EDT
I now have a Lee Deluxe 4 hole turret reloading kit. I need a few more pieces to begin (caliber specific dies, tumbler and a few more things). While I wait I will  read the ABCs of reloading. I also have some other reloading print material on order. I have lots of once fired brass and a box of range pickup brass

It is not the blue Kool Aid. I gets what I cans afford, and I am happy with the red Kool Aid. I am looking forward to safely enter this new endeavor. The stuff I have seen here at AFRCOM is very informative and inspiring.

See ya soon with some updates. Oh and BTW I WILL NOT BE consuming alcohol while reloading.

Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome to the disease!
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard, it's a great hobby. You've started out on the right track by studying and reading. Wait until you fire your 1st loads. That's the great satisfaction. Feels good to start getting your equipment together. Like being a kid at Christmas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Feed your addiction!!!!!!!!
Does not matter what equipment you use as long as you enjoy it
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 4:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
That's my basement work bench.
As I set up and progress (no pun inteneded) I'll post some more.
My local shop, a few minutes from my house, carries reloading supplies, powders, primers, bullets, brass.
That will help me save on those HazMat charges.

Link Posted: 6/29/2008 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the reloading club.

Red or blue, it's all good.

Looking foward to your updates.

This is a great site, and a bunch of good guys hang out here. (mods too)

Were you ever in the Navy?

Battleship gray bench.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I was never fortunate enough to serve in the military. When Gulf war started I was ready to enlist in the Marines then in oh about 100 hours we leveled the speed bumps and won. Then I got into public service (EMS).

Just plain ol' gray epoxy for the basement.

Link Posted: 6/29/2008 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool.

Navy vet here, just recognized the color.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#8]
So, OPEN THE BOX ALREADY!!!  I wanna see that VIRGIN PRESS.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

Aloha

Link Posted: 7/1/2008 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
i got one of those, hehe. hopefully your shop you bought it from is a reputable place....and they sold you a post 2006 version of that press..I unfortunately did not do enough homework, and the shop i bought it from sold me a pre2006 version, so now before i can use the the Lee safety prime kit, I have to fork over another 40 bucks for the conversion kit. So in the mean time I am manually placing the primers but I do have the Lee auto disk powder measureing system with the double disk kit. So far works great and is very satisfying making my own rounds.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Cabela's, how can i tell post 2006? no serial numbers.

still looking for some trades and stuff.
I have been reading for a while, just starting to build.
I need to buy some dies and a few other things. Checking the EE, midway etc.

ETA confirmed with LEE & Cabela's it is POST 2006 production
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

Aloha
i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/perimedik/100_1460.jpg

Nice....

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Reading the tutorials here at ARFCOM I am going to use this list
I'll print it out for every batch I reload a check off each step to reduce the risk of errors

1. sort and inspect cases
    tumble dirty cases
    lube cases
    size and decap cases
    delube the sized cases
    poke out media from primer pocket
    clean primer pocket (optional)
    decrimp primer pockets (if needed)
    trim and debur the trimmed cases (if needed)
    seat primer
    drop powder
    seat the bullet
    crimp the ase (optional)

In addition to that I made a template in MS Word using Avery 5390 template
Headstamp
Times fired
Bullet
Type
Grains
Powder
Type
Grains
Primer
Trim OAL
Collective OAL

this way I can keep accurate records, and whatever targets I shoot I could staple the load data to it for later reference
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey.......the dies!?!?

IMHO......for pistol......the carbide LEE 4 die sets are good.  The LEE set comes with the shell holder and the powder through expander (used with the powder drop/measure).  And, since you got 4 holes.......FCD in the fourth hole.

Although, I don't use a FCD.......hey, IF you got it, why not try it.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
"this way I can keep accurate records"  very important aspect of reloading.  Never trust your memory, always verify what you are about to load.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#16]
order in bound from Midway.  A few more "nice to have stuff" but with my Kit this should set me up. Am I missing anything?

I'll get it all set up next weekend and post the pics of the bench

792057 - Lee Auto-Disk Rifle Powder Charging Die 22 to 30 Calibers
114080 - Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Riser
548630 - Lee Safety Prime Small and Large Primer Feeder  
776391 - Lee Deluxe Rifle 3-Die Set 223 Remington

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you have everything on the Recommended Level list here at least function wise www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=486

Dont forget the little things like a means to trim, debur, clean primer pockets.  I highly recommend a Dillon or Wilson case gage.

The Lee dies have a built in stuck case removal capability.   Ditch whatever lube comes with the Lee kit and get Dillon case lube.

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been using that list Thanks though.
4 hole turret press
Scale
Dial Claipers
Dies (inound)
Full Length Sizing Die (with Decapping Unit)
Neck Sizing Collet Die
Seating Die
Powder charging die

Powder Hopper
Auto Disks
Debur & Chamfer tool
Primer Pocket Cleaner
Cutter & Lockstud
Safety prime
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]
If that's your complete list I highly recomend a case gage and a kinetic bullet puller, do you lube yet? If not, Dillon spray lube or equivalent.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Bullet Puller on the next list
(I have a bunch of reloads that I have no idea who loaded them)
I'll look into the case gauge. Thanks - is that to make sure headspace is not exceeded and cause a KB
lube is subjective I have read. These are not Carbide dies (no lube with carbide right?) so I do need something. Still looking not there yet.

At risk of sounding, well like a perv, is KY or (any other water soluable gel) useable or should it be petrolium based

I ask because as a medic we use KY to lube airway management tools (endotrachel tubes combitubes LMAs) Just a thought.

I have seen Motor oil suggested, all sorts of junk outside of commercially manufactuered products (which I will use because of my newbie status)

Edit spelling

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Bullet Puller on the next list
(I have a bunch of reloads that I have no idea who loaded them)
I'll look into the case gauge. Thanks - is that to make sure headspace is not exceeded and cause a KB
lube is subjective I have read. These are not Carbide dies (no lube with carbide right?) so I do need something. Still looking not there yet.

At risk of sounding, well like a perv, is KY or (any other water soluable gel) useable or should it be petrolium based

I ask because as a medic we use KY to lube airway management tools (endotrachel tubes combitubes LMAs) Just a thought.

I have seen Motor oil suggested, all sorts of junk outside of commercially manufactuered products (which I will use because of my newbie status)

Edit spelling

You always need lube for rifle dies, carbide or not.  No lube needed if using pistol carbide dies but lube helps.

Don't lube any case with a lube that'll be hard to remove.  Easiest way to remove lube is to tumble the cases though you could wipe it off with a rag.  That gets old fast.

A case gage is used to adjust your rifle sizing die, 99% of sizing problems is the sized cased won't fit your rifle's chamber. Case gages for pistol rounds are more or less a dummy chamber, it the round fits the poistol case gauge it'll fit your pistol

A case gage for a rifle round also tells you if the brass needs to be trimmed.

Read all the tutorials in the Forum Resources, especially this one under Tools and Equipment www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=407

It covers the heart of .223 reloading: ensuring your brass is sized properly and ensuring that your brass is under max OAL and how to trim it with $8 worth of Lee tools.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Mounted today
Waiting for my Dies and Safety prime.
Predrilled and mounting to the bench

Level

TaDahhh

Now I need some consumables (powders primers and bullets)
Still looking, baby steps, baby steps.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:24:38 AM EDT
[#23]

It's a good start.  I also did the "red" when I first started out but with a hand press (think of a nut cracker).  Now you are a legit addict just like the rest of us .  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Got home from work and on my front steps.
MIDWAY Baby!
My dies are in...
Deluxe Set .223

Charger and Auto Disk riser (to comp for Primer Safety feed)

Large & Small primer feeder.

I'll set them up this week and and "tune" it. expect some panicky posts
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Let us know how this works out.  I've been thinking of getting the same or close to it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Here she is

Closer (empty space is for priming - will change the order of dies and add Lee Factory Crimp)

And because I am a nOOb - to remind me at every pull of the lever I broke out the P-touch

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I now have a Lee Deluxe 4 hole turret reloading kit. I need a few more pieces to begin (caliber specific dies, tumbler and a few more things). While I wait I will  read the ABCs of reloading. I also have some other reloading print material on order. I have lots of once fired brass and a box of range pickup brass

It is not the blue Kool Aid. I gets what I cans afford, and I am happy with the red Kool Aid. I am looking forward to safely enter this new endeavor. The stuff I have seen here at AFRCOM is very informative and inspiring.
i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/perimedik/100_1462.jpg
See ya soon with some updates. Oh and BTW I WILL NOT BE consuming alcohol while reloading.

You will be consuming alcohol while reloading...isopropyl alcohol in the case lube!
They are right, the first time you fire a round you made is the cat's @$$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top