Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 4:35:03 AM EDT
I know the X-Die calls to trim .02 under max which is 1.74 and then set the mandrel to that.

Has anyone tried to trim to 1.745-1.75 instead?

I am getting very little case growth so most of my cases that are fired multiple times are still barely 1.74-1.745.

It just seems like a waste to trim so much off if the case is not going to grow very much.

Has anyone seen any accuracy issues with brass trimmed to 1.74?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I did the same thing two years ago when I first started using RCBS X-Dies for .223.  I very quickly started trimming between 1.745-1.750 due to the small amount of growth.

After I resize and de-lube, I always check them in a Dillon Case Guage.  Any that are too long go into the "TRIM" pile.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I did the same thing two years ago when I first started using RCBS X-Dies for .223.  I very quickly started trimming between 1.745-1.750 due to the small amount of growth.

After I resize and de-lube, I always check them in a Dillon Case Guage.  Any that are too long go into the "TRIM" pile.

Same here except I haven't had to trim any yet.

I'm also not loaded for velocity but more accuracy so I guess that helps.

Are you tumbling to delube?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Are you tumbling to delube?

Yes, if I'm doing several cases.  Sometimes when I reload say 30-60 (couple of mags worth), I just use one of the auto detailing towels.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm probably going to do the same thing on the next batch of brass I need to run through the x-die.

The current batch I have has not shown much growth either, even after a few firings. The load is the standard 25.0gr of H335 and a 55gr FMJ bullet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I am liking H335 for the 55s the more I work up some loads.

I think I like 24.4 grains right now.

My groups started to spray at 25 and I think the published max is 25.3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top