Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 2:43:08 PM EDT
I finally got some reloading equipment a week or so ago, and I've been tumbling and resizing cases every night since then.  I just got a Lee hand press since I don't have any place to mound a benchtop press.  I resized a bunch of LC brass fine, but I decided to see if I could do some Wolf since I have a ton of it, and they wouldn't go into the die all the way.

I did 3 cases, and got the same result every time.  They would go far enough to knock the primer out, but then about 3/16" from the top of the stroke the case wouldn't go any farther.  I'm using Lee lube, mixed with 91% alcohol, and a Lee resizing die.  The 3rd case was berdan primed and broke my decapping pin, so I'm out of commision until I can get a new one.  But I would like to figure out why this isn't working, because I have a ton of Wolf cases and want to reload them for some cheap plinking ammo.

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are new to reloading, which it sounds like you are, don't try to reload wolf or any other steel case ammo for that matter.  A few people here have done it successfully  but its just not worth it. Besides, I don't think its even possible with a Lee hand press.

Stick to brass and learn to load SAFELY before you start playing around!

Stang
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Were the cases lubed well?  One of those tricky things where too much is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you are new to reloading, which it sounds like you are, don't try to reload wolf or any other steel case ammo for that matter.  A few people here have done it successfully  but its just not worth it. Besides, I don't think its even possible with a Lee hand press.

Stick to brass and learn to load SAFELY before you start playing around!

Stang

Yeah, I just threw all the lubed cases back in the bag and zipped it up to save for another day when I have more experience and better equipment.  Luckily my decapping pin wasn't broke, it just got pushed up some so all I had to do was put it back where it was supposed to be and tighten the lock collar.  Resized a hundred or so PMC cases instead while I was watching a movie.  This hand press is goona give me some killer pecs
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You is supposed to size WOLF cases on a single stage press, using a std LEE FL die, and RCBS lube (white 2oz bottle)...

I scored a nice pile of WOLF green & grey stuff the other night over at Fish & Game, mixed in with some Silver Bear and some M27 links,,,,  Hmmmmmmm..

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Lee lube to resize steel cases, and I use a hand press of sorts, with no problem.  I do not, however, use any alcohol or anything else mixed with the lube, I use it straight outta the tube, with no problems, and the tube will last a long time, as it doesn't take much.

For all of you naysayers about reloading steel cases, I have reloaded about 300 of them, more than once, with zero problems.  Powder charge is just under mid range, and each case is closely inspected for any sign of fatigue, just like any brass case I use.

I have no shame, so if I blow up my gun doing this, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Were these cases fired in your gun? They may have been fired in a gun with an oversized chamber.

I suppose small base dies might cause an issue with steel cases, but if you are using Lee that shouldn't be a problem.

Just brain farting out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
In my younger days I used a handpress from LEE.  I figured that, I could load ammo at work during lunch and/or breaks.   It worked for me, using  straight lube, the handpress and brass cased cartridges.   But, I quickly found that it was a PIA.  Too slow, for my taste.

Anyway, IMHO.........the problem might have been (taken all together):

1)  Lube cut w/ alcohol.
2)  Hand press instead of a regular bench mounted press.
3)  Steel vs. brass cased.

Perhaps, a slight change will give better results?  Imperial wax or other straight lube?

IMHO.......keep the steel cases for when you have that bench mounted press.   And BTW.......some bench presses are better than others for the "heavy" work.  Meanwhile, use only brass cases with the handpress.

Yes, you do get quite a workout.  That's the upside to using it.  Over the "girlie men," who use a bench mounted press.  

Aloha, Mark

PS.........BTW, those three steel cases.........did they chamber OK?  IF they chamber, you could continue and build up those muscles.   But, I feel they should be looking like the cases in the pic from SBR7_11.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I never tried to chamber the cases.  All of the brass that I've done has chambered and fed fine so far.  But since I couldn't get these all the way into the die to begin with I didn't figure it would be worth the hassle.  I've got about 500 Federal cases that are all cleaned up, I figure I'll start on those next and see if I have any problems with the primer pockets being loose.  If they'll work I'll use em for some cheap plinking ammo, reload once maybe twice and chuck them.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But since I couldn't get these all the way into the die to begin with I didn't figure it would be worth the hassle.  

Yup, that's what I figure.........normally, the "ring" would be further down the length of the case, for it to be GTG.

Aloha, Mark

PS..........BTW, even a switch in the brand of primer may help tighten things up. I've noted that CCIs were harder to seat, than Federals.  YMWV
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I occasionally reload Wolf steel cases and I ran into the same problem about a month ago.  The cases were range pick ups, and I sized them in a Rock Chucker with Lee dies.  I got the cases all the way in the die, and they had a "step" at the base.  I measured a few of the rounds and they had definitely been fired in an oversized chamber.  I also found a few LC 06 cases that did the same thing.  I reload Wolf cases to use when I dont want to worry about picking up brass, and I have never had any problems with them.  I also use Lee lube and sometimes Dillon lube, both work very well.

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top