Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 6:07:01 AM EDT
I can't find any load data on the .224 75gn AMAX in the .223 Remington. I have gone thru all my powder and reloading books and can find no mention of the bullet. I don't have the Hornady manual, so, can someone with it, pass the info on?

Thanks,
CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
BC 0.435 COL 2.390

varget 19.4-23.5
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, You'll need to single load the 75grn AMax keeping it close to the lands in order to get any real accuracy advantage by using this bullet.

Most find this alot less user friendly that say loading "mag-length" 77grn SMKs which will perform just as well as the A-Max at long range (500 yds.+).

mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This bullet does not load to magazine length, and the individual throating of YOUR BARREL will determine what is the best over all length.  My Colt shoots this bullet with extreme accuracy at a length of 2.540" and this is no where near the lands!  The two powders which have delievered the goods for me are IMR 4895 (velocity 2575)and VV 540 (velocity 2850.) The brass is Winchester comercial, circa 1993 and Federal 205 M's do the ignition.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had them shoot damn good up to .040 off the lands.

ETA: I remembered they shot pretty well jammed about .020 into the lands, too.
       My rifle just seems to like them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=18&BulletWeight=75

There are only 3 there for the A-max but there are a few more for the other brands.

Reduce at least 10% and measure the freebore with the A-max, they like a bit of jump.  They should be in the 2.36-2.40" COAL range.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Reduce at least 10% and measure the freebore with the A-max, they like a bit of jump.

Sorry to point this out Keith, but the ogive on the A-Max is such that your comment above is not exactly correct and could be somewhat misleading (according to all the HP shooters I know using them from the 600 yard line and my own testing of the 75grn A-Max).

Hornady bullets for the most part (T2 75grn bullet excepted) DO NOT LIKE TO JUMP into the lands and in my experience prefer to set "close" to the lands (10-20 thousandths off the lands normally).

Sierra MatchKing bullets, due to the ogive of their bullets and especially the 77grn SMK are the bullets that "love to jump" into the lands.

mike

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reduce at least 10% and measure the freebore with the A-max, they like a bit of jump.

Sorry to point this out Keith, but the ogive on the A-Max is such that your comment above is not exactly correct and could be somewhat misleading (according to all the HP shooters I know using them from the 600 yard line and my own testing of the 75grn A-Max).

Hornady bullets for the most part (T2 75grn bullet excepted) DO NOT LIKE TO JUMP into the lands and in my experience prefer to set "close" to the lands (10-20 thousandths off the lands normally).

Sierra MatchKing bullets, due to the ogive of their bullets and especially the 77grn SMK are the bullets that "love to jump" into the lands.

mike

IMHO:    Each rifle is a law unto itself as to what will shoot the best in that barrel.  For my Colt HBar Elite the 75 A-Max non moly is holding close to 1/4 MOA at 410 yards with nearly .050 jump.  Trying to load longer has reduced this accuracy to unacceptable levels.  Optimal barrel time and consistnet ignition characteristics I believe to be the reason this is such an exceptional load.  

I do agree that when speaking in generalizations the construction/design characteristics of the Hornady would tend to lend themselves to land contact, but that is not written in stone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Secant jackets don't dictate if jump or jam will be most accurate.  Jacket construction is more of an influence.  Then throat dimensions and condition.

I get sub MOA with 0.05" jump in a WOP Pac Nor Wlyde chamber 20" SR tube.  Over a 400 yard BC test, they are holding right at a BC of .425 so I know the jump isn't upsetting the shape.

Now I am not doing the 2-chrono setup but a statistical measurement.  When the SD is under 12 FPS, it is perfectly acceptable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top